Help with Simple Math Problems

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with some simple math problems involving addition and subtraction of terms with square roots and cube roots. The expert explains how to simplify the expressions by bringing out powers of 2 and 3 and grouping like terms. The final answer is 37xy∛(2x).
Maxwell
Tonight my friend came to me with some simple math problems. Most of them were easy, but some of them I could not do, or could not remember how to do. It is very frustrating because I should know how to do this since I did it years ago.

I was wondering if you guys could help. The two problems I can't get are:

1) [tex] xy{\sqrt{125x^3y^5}} - {\sqrt{12x^5y^7}} + x^2y^3{\sqrt{{80xy}} [/tex]

2) [tex] {\sqrt[3]{16x^4y^3}} - 5x{\sqrt[3]{54xy^3}}} + 20y{\sqrt[3]{2x^4}} [/tex]

It seems so easy, jjust adding and subtracting, but I don't remember how to do this type of stuff. :frown:

Thanks in advance guys.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex] xy{\sqrt{125x^3y^5}} - {\sqrt{12x^5y^7}} + x^2y^3{\sqrt{{80xy}} [/tex]

Let's do the first term.

[tex]xy{\sqrt{125x^3y^5}}[/tex]

Any powers of 2 can be brought out, so let's write it in terms of powers of 2:

[tex]xy\sqrt{(5^2)5(x^2)x(y^2)^2y}[/tex]

Bring out the squares

[tex]xy(5xy^2)\sqrt{5xy}[/tex]

Simplify

[tex]5x^2y^3\sqrt{5xy}[/tex]

Rinse and repeat for the remaining terms.

And for the cube root problem, powers of 3 can come out. So group them into powers of 3.

cookiemonster

Thank you Cookiemonster.

I still can't get it though. :redface:

[tex] {\sqrt[3]{16x^4y^3}} - 5x{\sqrt[3]{54xy^3}}} + 20y{\sqrt[3]{2x^4}} [/tex]

16= 8*2 and 8= 23
x4= x*x3

so the first term is [itex]2xy\sqrt[3]{2x}[/itex]

54= 2*27= 2*33
so the second term is [itex]5x(3y)\sqrt[3]{2x}[/itex]

In the third term x4= x*x3
so the third term is [itex]20y(x)\sqrt[3]{2x}[/itex]

That is: [itex]2xy\sqrt[3]{2x}+5x(3y)\sqrt[3]{2x}+20y(x)\sqrt[3]{2x}[/itex]

Notice the [itex]\sqrt[3]{2x}[/itex] in each term?

This is the same as [itex](2xy+ 15xy+ 20xy)\sqrt[3]{2x}[/itex]

1. How can I improve my ability to solve simple math problems?

One way to improve your ability to solve simple math problems is to practice regularly. This can help you become more familiar with common problem-solving strategies and build your confidence in tackling different types of problems.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving simple math problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving simple math problems include not carefully reading the problem, not checking your work, and not using the correct order of operations. It is important to read each problem carefully and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

3. How can I break down complex math problems into simpler steps?

One way to break down complex math problems is to identify the key information and terms in the problem and write them down. Then, try to translate the problem into a series of simpler steps that you can follow to reach the solution.

4. How can I stay organized when solving multiple simple math problems in a row?

To stay organized when solving multiple simple math problems in a row, it can be helpful to create a step-by-step plan for each problem and to keep your work organized and neat. Additionally, taking breaks in between problems can help you stay focused and avoid making mistakes.

5. What resources are available for help with simple math problems?

There are many resources available for help with simple math problems, including online tutorials, practice problems, and textbooks. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate if you are struggling with a specific concept or problem.