(Re-) beginning Calculus and Analysis.

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student in Information Science who wants to refresh their knowledge of Calculus and Analysis. They have a more applied approach to the subject and are considering starting with the book "Spivak," which is known for its analytical perspective. They have been recommended the book "Baby Rudin," but feel it may be too advanced for their current level. They may also use a Schaum's Outline for application exercises.
w4r10ck
Hello.

I'm currently doing my masters in Information Science, and I did my graduation in Life Sciences. While I did have a course on Calculus at the 11th and 12th grades, I've forgotten most of it now.

I wish to start out with Calculus and Analysis again. My approach to Calculus and Analysis has a more applied tone, but I don't mind understanding the innards of it. I'm currently at a university where most of the people do theoretical mathematics and statistics, and have been recommended the Baby Rudin, but frankly, I don't think I'm suited to start such a text right now.

Please consider me as one who's totally new to Calculus (in that one who knows nothing about Calculus at all.)

I'm considering starting out with Spivak. Is that a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak is an excellent text for giving a rigorous but easy-to-get-through grounding in calculus from a more analytical point of view than most applied calculus texts.
Since you have already taken calculus, most of the text should provide an illumination of ideas you have seen covered lightly before. If you need application exercises, a Schaum's Outline should be fine.

Related to (Re-) beginning Calculus and Analysis.

1. What is Calculus and Analysis?

Calculus and Analysis are branches of mathematics that deal with the study of change and continuous structures, such as functions and curves. They involve methods for calculating derivatives and integrals, as well as analyzing functions and their behavior.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to begin learning Calculus and Analysis?

It is recommended to have a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as well as a good understanding of functions and their properties. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn Calculus and Analysis.

3. What are some real-world applications of Calculus and Analysis?

Calculus and Analysis are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze real-world situations, such as motion, growth, and optimization problems.

4. What are some key concepts that I should focus on when learning Calculus and Analysis?

Some important concepts to focus on include limits, derivatives, integrals, and their applications. It is also important to understand the properties and behaviors of different types of functions, such as polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in Calculus and Analysis?

Practice is key when it comes to mastering Calculus and Analysis. You can work on solving problems, completing exercises, and practicing with real-world applications. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.