RC parallel circuit, find the value of R and C

In summary, the parallel circuit has an admittance of 1/z. The resistor analogy is two conductances in parallel, and Z= R/(1+jwCR).
Agent47

Homework Statement

The circuit is a Parallel RC

Z= 105KΩ∠-27 and Frequency is 50 Hz.

I was given the following information and hints.

1/z = 1/R + jwc

I need to find the common denominator of 1/R + jwc, Invert it to find z and simplify Z into one real and one imaginary part.

Homework Equations

Need to find the value of R and C

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with finding the common denominator,

= 1/R +(jwc*R)/R

1/z = (1+jwRC)/R

To find z i simplified the equation above,

R = z(1+jwCR)

z = R/(1+jwCR)

Im not sure if i did this right as i can't find R and C. Any help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not start by calculating 1/Z, since you're given a numerical (complex) value for Z?

If i do 1/z i would get 8.485x10-6 +j 4.323x10-4. I am not sure on how i would get and RC from 1/z = (1+jwRC)/R.

Agent47 said:
If i do 1/z i would get 8.485x10-6 +j 4.323x10-4. I am not sure on how i would get and RC from 1/z = (1+jwRC)/R.

You don't need RC. You can pick out the admittances of the two components directly from the complex value of 1/z.

1/z is the admittance of the parallel circuit. How do admittances in parallel add?

(The resistor analogy is two conductances in parallel).

I worked out R= 118K ohm and C = 1.37x10-8. I checked by putting the values back into the equation and got the correct z. I guess i don't understand what my lecturer is going on about finding the common denominator etc.

Agent47 said:
I worked out R= 118K ohm and C = 1.37x10-8. I checked by putting the values back into the equation and got the correct z. I guess i don't understand what my lecturer is going on about finding the common denominator etc.

I suppose your lecturer had envisioned a different path to solution. But this one is pretty straightforward, no?

Likes 1 person
I agree that the way you have explained is much simpler, ill ask my lecturer on what his method is. Thanks for your help.

Related to RC parallel circuit, find the value of R and C

1. How do I find the value of R in an RC parallel circuit?

The value of R in an RC parallel circuit can be found by using the formula R = V/I, where V is the voltage across the resistor and I is the current flowing through the resistor. You can measure these values using a voltmeter and an ammeter, respectively. Alternatively, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate the resistance if you know the voltage and current.

2. How can I determine the value of C in an RC parallel circuit?

The value of C in an RC parallel circuit can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where Q is the charge stored on the capacitor and V is the voltage across the capacitor. You can measure the charge using a multimeter or calculate it using the formula Q = CV. The voltage can be measured using a voltmeter.

3. What is the relationship between R and C in an RC parallel circuit?

In an RC parallel circuit, R and C are inversely related. This means that as the value of one component increases, the value of the other decreases. This relationship can be described by the equation RC = constant, where the constant value depends on the specific circuit.

4. How does the value of R and C affect the behavior of an RC parallel circuit?

The value of R and C in an RC parallel circuit determines the time constant, which is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum charge when a voltage is applied. A larger value of R or C will result in a longer time constant and a slower charging or discharging rate. Additionally, a smaller value of R will result in a larger current flowing through the circuit.

5. Can I use a different value for R or C in an RC parallel circuit?

Yes, you can use different values for R and C in an RC parallel circuit. However, the values must be chosen carefully to ensure that the circuit behaves as intended. Using a larger value of R will result in a slower charging or discharging rate, while using a smaller value of C will result in a larger current flowing through the circuit. It is important to consider the time constant and the desired behavior of the circuit when selecting values for R and C.