RC DC Series and Parallel Circuit

In summary, the student is having difficulty understanding a RC circuit and is looking for help. They work backwards and realize that current through R2 = 28/(6+18), but are unable to relate this to any of the formulas they can find. They ask for help understanding the solutions, but are told that no current flows through the capacitors after equilibrium is reached. The thread closes after the student apologies for their mistake.
DeadFlower
Hi!

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=61046&stc=1&d=1377062905.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR
Kirchhoff Current and Voltage Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am facing difficulty with this RC circuit.
I tried looking up solutions but all I could find were either exclusively series or parallel.

My first guess was to take Total Current = 28/(6+18). However, that ended up being wrong.
I worked backwards from the answer provided and realized that Current through R2 = 28/(6+18) instead of what I thought earlier. However, I am unable to relate this to any of the formula I can find.I would be a great help if someone were able to explain to me how to arrive and the solutions to the question.
Thanks.

Attachments

• RC DC.JPG
    RC DC.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeadFlower said:
Hi!

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=61046&stc=1&d=1377062905.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR
Kirchhoff Current and Voltage Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am facing difficulty with this RC circuit.
I tried looking up solutions but all I could find were either exclusively series or parallel.

My first guess was to take Total Current = 28/(6+18). However, that ended up being wrong.

How did you proceed from here?

DeadFlower said:
I worked backwards from the answer provided and realized that Current through R2 = 28/(6+18) instead of what I thought earlier. However, I am unable to relate this to any of the formula I can find.

I would be a great help if someone were able to explain to me how to arrive and the solutions to the question.
Thanks.

Does any current flow through the capacitors after reaching the equilibrium voltage?
The "total current" is the same as the current through either R2 and R1.

ehild

Can you calculate the voltages across the capacitors?

ehild said:
How did you proceed from here?

Does any current flow through the capacitors after reaching the equilibrium voltage?
The "total current" is the same as the current through either R2 and R1.

ehild

Oh my. It was a mathematical error on my part. I deeply apologise.

After taking Total Current = V/R= 28/(6+18) = 1r1r6 A
Voltage across R1 = IR = 1r1r6 * 6 = 7 V
Therefore voltage across C1 + C2 = 28 - 7 = 21 V
Capacitance total = (1/12 + 1/24)^-1 = 8 μF
Therefore Charge across C1 and C2 = CV = (8*10^-6)(21) = 168 μC (FOUND)

However there is one thing I would like to ask.
So, this means that no current flows through the capacitors?

DeadFlower said:
However there is one thing I would like to ask.
So, this means that no current flows through the capacitors?

It flows at the beginning when the circuit is connected. After a while, the capacitors are charged, till the voltage gets the same across them as the voltage across R2. After that, no more potential difference to drive charges to the capacitor plates, so no current flows after the steady state is settled.

ehild

ehild said:
It flows at the beginning when the circuit is connected. After a while, the capacitors are charged, till the voltage gets the same across them as the voltage across R2. After that, no more potential difference to drive charges to the capacitor plates, so no current flows after the steady state is settled.

ehild

Ahhh, I understand now. Thanks!

Thread closed then :)

Related to RC DC Series and Parallel Circuit

1. What is a RC circuit?

A RC circuit is a type of circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. The RC circuit is used to control the flow of current in an electrical circuit and is often used in electronic devices such as filters and timers.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel RC circuit?

In a series RC circuit, the resistor and capacitor are connected in a single loop, with the resistor in front of the capacitor. In a parallel RC circuit, the resistor and capacitor are connected to the same two points in the circuit, creating two separate loops. The main difference between the two is the way in which they affect the flow of current and voltage in the circuit.

3. How does a RC circuit affect the flow of current?

In a series RC circuit, the capacitor acts as a barrier to the flow of current, causing a time delay in the circuit. In a parallel RC circuit, the capacitor allows for the flow of current to bypass the resistor, resulting in a decrease in the total resistance of the circuit.

4. What is the time constant of a RC circuit?

The time constant of a RC circuit is a measure of the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values in the circuit. This value is used to determine the behavior of the circuit and how quickly it will reach a steady state.

5. How can I calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel RC circuit?

In a series RC circuit, the total resistance can be calculated by adding the individual resistances together. In a parallel RC circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.