RC Circuit with a Switch: Potential and Charge Analysis

In summary: Q = C*V = 0.16microF * 12V = 1.92microC.In summary, the conversation involves a circuit with two resistors and two uncharged capacitors. The potential difference of 12V is applied to the circuit and the questions asked are about the potential at different points in the circuit and the charge that flows through the switch after it is closed. The key concepts to consider are potential dividers for resistors and capacitors, and the equation Q=C*V for finding charge.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

P26_46.jpg
Two resistors and two uncharged capacitors are arranged as shown above. Then a potential difference of V0 = 12 V is applied across the combination as shown.

a. What is the potential at point a with S open? (Let V = 0 at the negative terminal of the battery.)
b. What is the potential at point b with the switch open?
c. When the switch is closed, what is the final potential of point b?
d. How much charge flows through the switch S after it is closed?

2. Homework Equations

Voltage of Capacitor = Q/C
V=IR
Kirchhoff's Laws (Junction Rule and Loop Rule)

The Attempt at a Solution

I combined the two resistors so I would have one equivalent resistor and I combined the capacitors to have one equivalent capacitor.

Now, the circuit is just the voltage source, a single resistor (13.2 Ohms) and a single capacitor (0.16 microFarads)

I found the current through the resistor to be .909 Amps.

Applying Kirchhoff's Laws, I got three equations:
i1-i2-i3=0
12-13.2(i2)=0
13.2(i2)-Q/.16microF(i3)=0 --> not sure how to solve for Q since there's two unknowns here (i2 and Q)

From here, I'm not sure what I need to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you combine the resistors and the capacitors, you "lose access" to points a and b where you need to find the potentials.

Note that the two resistors form a potential divider, as do the two capacitors. See if you can find information on how to deal with potential dividers of both types (Resistive, Capacitive). It's very handy to know the simple, easy to remember formulas for them as they recur over and over again in problems (and in real life circuit analysis!).

gneill said:
If you combine the resistors and the capacitors, you "lose access" to points a and b where you need to find the potentials.

Note that the two resistors form a potential divider, as do the two capacitors. See if you can find information on how to deal with potential dividers of both types (Resistive, Capacitive). It's very handy to know the simple, easy to remember formulas for them as they recur over and over again in problems (and in real life circuit analysis!).

I completely forgot about those rules. I just thought point a and b still stayed after combining the resistors and the capacitors. Thanks for the tip!

Now, for finding the charge on the capacitor after switch is closed, I'm a bit confused because here is the hint for it:

Hint: Figure out the combined total charge on the bottom plate of the top capacitor and the top plate of the bottom capacitor - both before and after the switch is closed.

Not sure what that is saying and not sure how to proceed. Would I be able to apply the equation Q=C*V here? and if so, is the C the sum of the capacitors? and the V the total Vo (12V)?

Nevermind, I forgot that I already had the potential needed to solve for Q.

Related to RC Circuit with a Switch: Potential and Charge Analysis

1. What is an RC circuit with a switch?

An RC circuit with a switch is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), a capacitor (C), and a switch. The switch allows the circuit to be open or closed, controlling the flow of electricity through the circuit.

2. How does an RC circuit with a switch work?

When the switch is open, the capacitor charges up to the voltage of the power supply, while the resistor limits the flow of current. When the switch is closed, the capacitor discharges through the resistor, creating a time-varying voltage across the circuit.

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit with a switch?

The time constant of an RC circuit with a switch is the product of the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) in the circuit. It represents the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to approximately 63% of its maximum voltage.

4. How does the time constant affect the behavior of an RC circuit with a switch?

The time constant determines the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges, which in turn affects the behavior of the circuit. A larger time constant results in a slower charging/discharging process, while a smaller time constant results in a faster process.

5. What are some common applications of an RC circuit with a switch?

An RC circuit with a switch can be used in a variety of applications, such as timing circuits, oscillator circuits, and filters. It is also commonly used in electronic devices to smooth out voltage fluctuations and stabilize power supplies.