RC Circuit ; why RC=(VT/2 delta V)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation RC = (VT/2 delta V) and selecting the components for charging and discharging a capacitor. It also mentions measuring the resistance of a resistor with a multimeter and the relationship between frequency and cycle time. Then, the equations for Q(a) and Q(b) are given, along with attempts at solving the problem using these equations.
tom25

Homework Statement

I need to prove that RC=(VT/2 delta V)

Select the circle components of Charging and discharging of a capacitor
Measure the resistance of resistor with a multimeter
When you run a different frequency the cycle time change
run different frequency that T<<tao, T=tao, T>>tao
Choose components So that T<<tao,
V - the voltage of Function Generator
delta V= Voltage amplitude

Homework Equations

when -T/2<t<0
Q(a)=-cv+Ae^(-t/tao)

when T/2>t>0
Q(b)=cv+Be^(-t/tao)

A=(2cv)/(e^(T/2tao)+1)
B=(-2cv)/(e^(-T/2tao)+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=VC

Va=Qa/C

Vb=Qb/C

delta V= Vb-Va

RC=tao

I place Vb-Va on RC=(VT/2 delta V) and I played with the equation

but I didn't get RC=(VT/2 delta V)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried another solution but I got stuck:

Va=Qa/C

I used Va:

delta V= V(0)-V(-T/2)

VT/2 delta V

e^(T/2tao)=1+T/2tao -- taylor

and I get RC+T/4

what wrong?

Related to RC Circuit ; why RC=(VT/2 delta V)

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used to control the flow of electricity and to filter signals in electronic devices.

2. Why is RC time constant important?

The RC time constant is an important parameter in an RC circuit as it determines the rate at which a capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) by the capacitance (C) and represents the time it takes for the voltage across the capacitor to change by 63.2% of its total change.

3. How is RC time constant related to the voltage and time in an RC circuit?

The RC time constant is equal to the product of resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in an RC circuit. Mathematically, it can be represented as τ = RC. This means that the time constant is directly proportional to the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit. As time increases, the voltage across the capacitor also increases until it reaches its maximum value (equal to the applied voltage).

4. What is the significance of RC=(VT/2 delta V) equation?

The equation RC=(VT/2 delta V) is known as the time constant equation of an RC circuit. It is used to calculate the time constant (τ) of the circuit, which is an important parameter for understanding the behavior of the circuit. This equation shows that the time constant is inversely proportional to the change in voltage (delta V) and is directly proportional to the applied voltage (VT).

5. How does the RC time constant affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

The RC time constant determines the rate of charging and discharging of a capacitor in an RC circuit. A larger time constant results in a slower charging or discharging rate, while a smaller time constant results in a faster rate. This affects the behavior of the circuit, as a longer time constant will result in a longer time for the capacitor to reach its maximum voltage, while a shorter time constant will result in a shorter time. It also determines the frequency response and filtering capabilities of the circuit.