RC Charge/Discharge for Electrochemical Capacitor

In summary, there are two problems with charging an electrochemical capacitor through an RC circuit- the voltage jumps up quickly and the capacitor never reaches the applied voltage. It seems like the cause of both of these problems is internal resistance. If you can reduce the internal resistance of the capacitor, you should be able to fix the jumping voltage and eventually reach the applied voltage.
nanomoly
I am a student working on designing an electrochemical capacitor (an area which i have limited experience). When I charge this capacitor through an RC circuit I notice two non ideal effects. I need to adress the cause of these effects if I can ever hope to correct them.

The first problem is that the voltage immediatly jumpts up to about a quarter of the applied voltage before following the exponential function expected from RC circuit theory. I have discovered that internal resistance of the capacitor is the cause of this. However, I don't understand why the internal resistance does not simply add to the resistor in series with the capcitor.

My second problem is that the capacitor never reaches the applied voltage but approaches a lower voltage. If i continue to let it charge it will eventually start discharging on its own. This observation holds true even for low applied votlages. I have a feeling this is caused by leakage but can anyone confirm this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nanomoly said:
I am a student working on designing an electrochemical capacitor (an area which i have limited experience). When I charge this capacitor through an RC circuit I notice two non ideal effects. I need to adress the cause of these effects if I can ever hope to correct them.

The first problem is that the voltage immediatly jumpts up to about a quarter of the applied voltage before following the exponential function expected from RC circuit theory. I have discovered that internal resistance of the capacitor is the cause of this. However, I don't understand why the internal resistance does not simply add to the resistor in series with the capcitor.

My second problem is that the capacitor never reaches the applied voltage but approaches a lower voltage. If i continue to let it charge it will eventually start discharging on its own. This observation holds true even for low applied votlages. I have a feeling this is caused by leakage but can anyone confirm this?

If it jumps up initially, that means it does not have much capacitance. Recall the relationship between current and a changing voltage for a capacitor. Probably it has to do with the way your electrochemical electrolyte is working with no initial bias.

And the end result sounds like a high leakage current, again probably related to your electrochemistry.

Low capacitance causes an inital jump in voltage? My conclusion of high ESR was based on figure 7 of this pdf.

http://www.sencore.com/uploads/files/UnderstandESR.pdf

nanomoly said:
Low capacitance causes an inital jump in voltage? My conclusion of high ESR was based on figure 7 of this pdf.

http://www.sencore.com/uploads/files/UnderstandESR.pdf

From your description initially, it sounds like something changes after the initial jump. Whether it's ESR or capacitance, you will have to determine on your own based on your cap's electrolyte chemistry.

Related to RC Charge/Discharge for Electrochemical Capacitor

1. What is RC charge/discharge for electrochemical capacitor?

RC charge/discharge refers to the process of charging or discharging an electrochemical capacitor, also known as a supercapacitor. The RC in this context stands for resistance-capacitance, which are two important factors that influence the charge and discharge behavior of the capacitor.

2. How does RC charge/discharge work?

During the charging process, an external power source applies a voltage across the electrodes of the capacitor, causing ions to accumulate on one electrode and deplete from the other. This creates an electric field between the electrodes, which stores energy in the form of electric charge. The discharge process is the opposite, where the stored energy is released as the capacitor discharges.

3. What factors affect the RC charge/discharge behavior of an electrochemical capacitor?

The RC charge/discharge behavior is influenced by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit, the voltage applied, and the type of electrolyte used in the capacitor. These factors can impact the rate of charge/discharge, the maximum energy stored, and the overall efficiency of the process.

4. What are the applications of RC charge/discharge for electrochemical capacitors?

Electrochemical capacitors are commonly used in energy storage applications, such as in electric vehicles, renewable energy systems, and portable electronics. The RC charge/discharge process allows for quick energy storage and release, making them ideal for use in high-power applications.

5. How can the RC charge/discharge behavior of an electrochemical capacitor be improved?

To improve the RC charge/discharge behavior, researchers are looking into developing new materials for the electrodes and electrolytes that can increase the capacitance and reduce the resistance of the capacitor. Additionally, optimizing the design and structure of the capacitor can also enhance its charge/discharge performance.