Rayanjafar's parametric integral question for YAnswers

In summary, the question asks for the area of a region bounded by a curve C and the x-axis, as well as the volume of the solid formed when this region is revolved around the x-axis. To solve this, we first sketch the curve and then use substitution and integration to find the area and volume. For the area, the integral is evaluated to be 2/3, and for the volume, we use the formula for volume of revolution and integrate to find the final answer.
CaptainBlack
"C4 question, please help.?
the curve C has parametric equations x = sint , y = sin2t, 0<t<pi/2
a) find the area of the region bounded by C and the x-axis

and, if this region is revolved through 2pi radians about the x-axis,
b) find the volume of the solid formed

How do you do this question. Can anyone please show me step by step?"

C4 here denotes a question appropriate to the UK Core 4 A-Level Maths Exam

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
(a) First sketch the curve. It obviously starts with slope \(2\) at \((0,0)\) and rises to a maximum of \(y=1\) at \(x=1/\sqrt(2)\) and then falls to \(y=0\) at \(x=1\).
View attachment 515The area we want is the integral:

\[I = \int_{x=0}^1 y(x) dx\]
Use the substitution \(t=arcsin(x), x=sin(t)\). Then \(dx = cos(t) dt\), and the integral becomes:

\[I = \int_{t=0}^{\pi/2} sin(2t) cos(t) dt\]
Now we replace the \(sin(2t)\) using the double angle formula by \(2 sin(t) cos(t)\) to get:

\[I = \int_{t=0}^{\pi/2} 2sin(t) (cos(t))^2 dt\]
As the integrand is the derivative of \(-(2/3) (cos(t))^3\) we get:

\[I = -(2/3) [0-1] = 2/3\].
The second part proceeds in much the same way once we write down the volume of revolution:

\[V= \int_{x=0}^1 \pi (y(x))^2 dx\]
and proceed in much the same way as before

CB

Attachments

• parametric plot.JPG
    parametric plot.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Related to Rayanjafar's parametric integral question for YAnswers

1. What is Rayanjafar's parametric integral question for YAnswers?

Rayanjafar's parametric integral question for YAnswers is a mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of a parametric equation. The equation is given in terms of two parameters, and the goal is to determine the value of the integral in terms of those parameters.

2. Why is this question frequently asked?

This question is frequently asked because it is a challenging and interesting mathematical problem. It requires a good understanding of parametric equations and integration techniques, and it can be a good exercise for improving problem-solving skills.

3. What are the applications of this question?

The applications of Rayanjafar's parametric integral question can be found in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve problems related to motion, optimization, and area/volume calculations.

4. What are some tips for solving this question?

Some tips for solving Rayanjafar's parametric integral question include: carefully studying the given equation and its parameters, using substitution or integration by parts if necessary, and checking your answer by differentiating it.

5. Are there any online resources available for help with this question?

Yes, there are many online resources available for help with Rayanjafar's parametric integral question. You can find step-by-step solutions, videos, and practice problems on various math websites and forums. You can also seek help from online tutors or join online study groups for this specific question.