Ray tracing with transfer matrix method

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a simple optical system consisting of two thin lenses with specific focal distances and separation. They have created a program to determine the ray transfer matrix of the system and have found the position of the final image to be 20.37 [mm]. However, they are having trouble understanding the output rays of the system.
mester1025
Hi,
I'm new in physics and optics so I need a little help. I've a simple optical system from 2 thin lenses.
The first thin lens has a focal distance of 50 [mm] , and the second one has 25 [mm]. The 2 lenses are separated by 40 [mm] and the object is placed 75 [mm] before the first lens.

I've to find the position of the final image and simulate howto propagate the rays across the optical system.

So, I made a little program to determine the ray transfer matrix of the system.
This is the transfer matrix of the system:
\begin{bmatrix} 0.20-0.028x & 55-2.7x \\ -0.0028 & -2.7 \end{bmatrix}

where the x variable is the final image distance from the last lens.

If I do the following:
\begin{equation} 55-2.7x = 0\end{equation}
Then x = 20.37 [mm] , this is the image distance, exactly what I was looking for.
So the system matrix is:
\begin{bmatrix} -0.37036 & 0.001 \\ -0.0028 & -2.7 \end{bmatrix}

My problem is:

I have lots of input rays to simulate the ray propagation, but I can't understand the output rays.

For example :
\begin{equation}
\begin{bmatrix} y \\ θ \end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix} 0.0002 \\ -0.54 \end{bmatrix}

\end{equation}
where y is the input height and θ is the input angle in radian.
\begin{equation}
\begin{bmatrix} 0.0002 \\ -0.54 \end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix} -0.37036 & 0.001 \\ -0.0028 & -2.7 \end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0.2 \end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}

Could you help me explain the output ray of the system?

I apologize for the wall of text :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A ray input at height 0 and grad 0.2 will output at height 0.0002 and gradient -0.54 ... draw a box for your system of lenses, draw the input and output lines at the appropriate ends of the box.

Likes mester1025

Related to Ray tracing with transfer matrix method

What is the transfer matrix method?

The transfer matrix method is a mathematical technique used to analyze the propagation of electromagnetic waves through a series of optical elements, such as lenses, mirrors, and filters. It allows for the calculation of the overall transmission and reflection properties of the system based on the individual properties of each element.

How does the transfer matrix method apply to ray tracing?

In ray tracing, the transfer matrix method is used to determine the path of a ray of light as it passes through a series of optical elements. By calculating the transfer matrix for each element, the position and direction of the ray can be determined at each interface, allowing for the simulation of the overall behavior of the system.

What are the advantages of using the transfer matrix method for ray tracing?

The transfer matrix method offers several advantages for ray tracing, including its ability to accurately handle multiple reflections and refractions, as well as its efficiency in handling complex systems with many optical elements. It also allows for the incorporation of thin film interference effects, making it useful for thin film design and analysis.

What limitations does the transfer matrix method have in ray tracing?

The transfer matrix method is limited in its applicability to systems that can be described by a series of thin optical elements with planar interfaces. It also assumes that the optical elements are lossless and that the light is monochromatic. Additionally, it does not account for scattering or diffraction effects.

How is the transfer matrix method used in practical applications?

The transfer matrix method is commonly used in the design and optimization of optical systems, such as lenses, mirrors, and filters. It is also used in the simulation of light propagation through photonic structures, such as waveguides and photonic crystals. Additionally, it is used in the analysis of thin film coatings for optical devices, such as anti-reflective coatings and optical filters.