Ray Tracing Box Intersection: (3,8) to (6,-1), (-2,3), and i-5j

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether or not a box is intersected by a given ray and how to find the intersection points. The process involves looking at the boundaries of the box and considering which lines to intersect with the given ray. It is suggested to create a graphical sketch of the problem to better understand which lines to consider.
haddow64
Ok, so this is probably a really basic question, and I've got a feeling that my brain is just too 'fuzzy' just now and that all my problem is is simple arithmetic, but here it goes...

1. Determine whether or not the box with vertices at (2,1), (5,1), (5,5), and (2,5) is intersected by the ray originating at (3,8) and:

(i) ends at (6,-1)
(ii) ends at (-2,3)
(iii) has direction i-5j

Box:
AB: (2+3u / 1) -(1)
CD: (5-3u / 5) -(2)
BC: (5 / 1+4u) -(3)
AD: (2 / 1+4u) -(4)

(i) Ray (3,8) to (6,-1)
(3+3t / 8-9t)

(1) & (i) -> (2+3u / 1) = (3+3t / 8-9t)

How do I get this down to give t and u to show that intersection occurs? I'm sorry that this is such a basic question, I've been working all day and don't seem to be able to think properly just now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take your ray for each of the problems and intersect with the lines that form the boundaries of the box, look at the intersection points and draw conclusions from there. Even a simple graphical sketch of the problem might tell you what which lines you have to consider and which you don't.

Hi there,

First of all, don't worry about your brain feeling fuzzy. It's completely normal to feel mentally exhausted after working all day. Let's take a step back and break down the problem.

Ray tracing is a technique used in computer graphics to simulate the path of light rays in a virtual environment. In this case, we are dealing with a ray starting at (3,8) and ending at (6,-1). We also have a box with four vertices at (2,1), (5,1), (5,5), and (2,5).

To determine whether or not the ray intersects with the box, we need to find the point of intersection between the ray and the box. This point will have coordinates (x,y) that satisfy both the equation of the ray and the equations of the lines that make up the sides of the box.

Let's start with the equation of the ray. We can write it as (3+3t, 8-9t), where t is a parameter that represents the distance along the ray. Now, let's look at the equations of the lines that make up the sides of the box.

AB: x = 2+3u, y = 1-1u
CD: x = 5-3u, y = 5+0u
BC: x = 5+0u, y = 1+4u
AD: x = 2+0u, y = 1+4u

Notice that the equations for AB and CD only have one variable (u), while the equations for BC and AD only have one variable (v). This is because these lines are either horizontal or vertical, so they can be represented by a single variable.

Now, let's plug in the coordinates for the endpoints of the ray into its equation. For (6,-1), we have x = 6 and y = -1. Plugging these values in, we get:

6 = 3+3t
-1 = 8-9t

Solving for t, we get t = 1. Plugging t = 1 into the equation for the ray, we get the point of intersection as (6, -1).

Next, we need to plug in the coordinates for this point into the equations for the lines that make up the sides of the box. If the point satisfies all four equations, then we know that

Related to Ray Tracing Box Intersection: (3,8) to (6,-1), (-2,3), and i-5j

1. What is ray tracing with boxes?

Ray tracing with boxes is a technique used in computer graphics to create realistic images by tracing the path of light rays as they interact with objects in a scene. In this method, each object in the scene is represented as a box, and the rays of light are traced as they bounce, reflect, and refract off of these boxes to create a realistic image.

2. How does ray tracing with boxes differ from other rendering methods?

Unlike other rendering methods, such as rasterization, ray tracing with boxes allows for more accurate and realistic rendering of objects and their interactions with light. This is because it simulates the physical behavior of light rays, rather than simply painting pixels on a screen.

3. What are the advantages of using ray tracing with boxes?

One of the main advantages of using ray tracing with boxes is its ability to produce highly realistic images with accurate lighting and shadows. It also allows for the creation of complex scenes and materials, such as transparent objects or objects with reflective surfaces, that would be difficult to achieve with other rendering methods.

4. What are some applications of ray tracing with boxes?

Ray tracing with boxes is commonly used in the fields of video game development, animation, and visual effects in movies. It is also used in scientific and engineering applications, such as architectural visualization and product design.

5. Are there any limitations to using ray tracing with boxes?

One of the main limitations of ray tracing with boxes is its high computational cost. It requires a significant amount of processing power and time to render a scene compared to other methods. Additionally, it may not be suitable for real-time rendering, making it more commonly used for pre-rendered images and videos.