Vector Force and Golf Ball Collision

In summary, both the clubface angle and the angular impact determine the initial direction of the golf ball.
hpdrifter
vector force?

Hi all. I'm in search of a simple answer to a simple question that has become seemingly impossible for me to find. I'm not schooled in Physics. I can cypher fairly well, but this doesn't really(I think)require cyphering.

It's a question of golf club golf ball collision. Elastic. All I have found on elastic collision is in-line collision.

If a club, say with about 10° of loft hits a golf ball at ~100 mph, would the angle of the clubface dictate direction of travel or would the swingpath. I'm not asking about the loft. I'm asking about an angular impact; the clubface going straight at the ball with 5°, 10°, 15° of angle to impact direction.

The reason I ask is there are two schools(ha)of thought on this. One says the ball will travel in the direction of swingpath and spin(and therefore curve) because of clubface angle.

The other says the ball will travel in direction of clubface angle(mainly-I realize there is probably an element of path involved)and spin(curve) because of angular impact.

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks.
Rick

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both are right - the initial direction is determined by where the ball is struck and the angle of incidence of the club. Irregularities in the swing (if it isn't lined up with the ball's initial direction) cause it to spin.

Think about billiards balls for the direction question. When you play pool, where do you want the balls to make contact? You want them to mke contact on the exact opposite side of the direction of intended motion.

Thanks Russ for your reply. I like the billiard ball analogy. It made me think, then things got fuzzy.

Let me ask a simple question.

If a block of steel cut to a 20° angle on the leading edge was propelled into a ball along a straight line, what angle would the ball take off in?

Would the 20° component be more influential than the straight impact direction.

I would think it would be closer to 20° than straight ahead, maybe 17-18°.

Think relativity! (the gallilean kind, not special relativity).

Ignore gravity for the moment.

In one reference frame you have the inclined plane sliding towards the golf ball...

But if you choose another reference frame, you have a stationary inclined plane with the golf ball hurtling towards it.

From there you can apply the law of reflection, that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection... so the ball's new path is reflected across the normal line. Since the ball is hurtling towards our flat plane at 20 degrees to the normal, the ball is reflected to 20 degrees on the other side... the net reflection is 40 degrees!

Then we shift back to the original reference frame with the stationary golf ball, and the conclusion carries over, if the block has a leading edge 20 degrees off of normal, hitting the golf ball will cause it to take a trajectory with an initial 40 degree angle.

Putting gravity back into the picture, I'm not entirely sure as to what the net effect would be. I imagine it would cause the initial angle to be somewhat less than the no gravity case (because some of the impulse of collision goes towards replacing the normal force), though the higher the velocity of impact the less effect gravity has, so a high speed impact would cause the golf ball to jump to a near 40 degree trajectory, but a low speed impact wouldn't get it off of the ground.

Hurkyl

Thanks Hurkyl. Reflection. Why didn't I think of that? Please don't answer that.

1. What is vector force and how does it apply to golf ball collision?

Vector force is a type of force that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics to describe the movement of objects. In the case of golf ball collision, vector force is important because it determines the direction and speed at which the golf ball will move after being hit by a club.

2. How is the velocity of a golf ball affected by vector force during collision?

The velocity of a golf ball is directly affected by the magnitude and direction of the vector force applied during collision. The greater the force applied, the greater the change in velocity of the golf ball. Additionally, the direction of the vector force will determine the direction in which the golf ball will move after the collision.

3. How does the angle of impact affect the vector force and golf ball collision?

The angle of impact plays a crucial role in the vector force and golf ball collision. The angle of impact determines the direction of the vector force and can greatly impact the trajectory of the golf ball after the collision. For example, a head-on collision with the golf club will result in a more direct and powerful force, while a glancing collision will result in a weaker and more angled force.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence the vector force and golf ball collision?

Aside from the angle of impact, other factors that can influence the vector force and golf ball collision include the elasticity of the golf ball, the material and shape of the club, and the speed and momentum of the club and ball before the collision. These factors can all affect the magnitude and direction of the vector force and ultimately impact the outcome of the collision.

5. How is the concept of conservation of momentum applied in vector force and golf ball collision?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision remains constant. In the case of vector force and golf ball collision, the momentum of the golf ball and club before the collision equals the momentum of the golf ball after the collision. This concept is important in understanding the transfer of energy and movement between the objects involved in the collision.