Rationalizing cubed expressions

• Thread starter Eezekiel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of a given equation as x approaches 0. The person has trouble rationalizing the equation and asks for an easier method, but is then shown how to expand it traditionally and solve. They finally understand and thank the expert for clarifying.
Eezekiel
I know how to rationalize most equations when trying to find limits. However, this problem seem give me trouble.

(((1+x)^3)-1)/x as x approaches 0

I tried the method of multiplying by the conjugate but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Mainly its the cubed (1+x) that troubles me.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you don't want to just expand it traditionally and simplify? You want some sort of easy trick (like multiplying by the conjugate and whatnot)?

Could you elaborate and show me how I could expand it traditionally and solve. Maybe I'm just over tired but i can't see how that would work.

I don't see anything to rationalize. Just expand (1+x)^3 subtract 1 and divide by x.

Eezekiel said:
Could you elaborate and show me how I could expand it traditionally and solve. Maybe I'm just over tired but i can't see how that would work.

Alright, sure. Let's do it in steps.

First, do:

[tex] (1+x)^2 = (1+x)(1+x)[/tex]

This should be quickly determined to be:

[tex] 1+2x+x^2 [/tex]

So, now note:

[tex] (1+x)^3 = (1+x)(1+x)(1+x) = (1+2x+x^2)(1+x) [/tex]

Then distribute:

[tex] (1+2x+x^2)(1+x) = (1)(1+x) + (2x)(1+x) + (x^2)(1+x) = 1+x+2x+2x^2+x^2+x^3 [/tex]

Then simplify:

[tex] 1+x+2x+2x^2+x^2+x^3 = 1+3x+3x^2+x^3 [/tex]

Now, remember your original expression and substitute:

[tex] \frac{(1+x)^3-1}{x} = \frac{1+3x+3x^2+x^3-1}{x} = \frac{x^3+3x^2+3x}{x} = x^2+3x+3 [/tex]

So, then, we have:

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{(1+x)^3-1}{x}\right) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \left(x^2+3x+3\right) [/tex]

You can take it from here.

Last edited:
thank you for clarifying that. Maybe i just needed a quick refresher to show me how again.

Wait, so are you good? Or are you still confused?

yes I am good thank you

Related to Rationalizing cubed expressions

1. What does it mean to rationalize a cubed expression?

Rationalizing a cubed expression involves manipulating the expression so that the denominator does not contain any cube roots. This is often done to simplify the expression and make it easier to work with.

2. Why is it important to rationalize cubed expressions?

Rationalizing cubed expressions is important because it allows us to simplify and solve mathematical problems involving cube roots. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different mathematical operations.

3. How do you rationalize a cubed expression?

To rationalize a cubed expression, we multiply both the numerator and denominator by the cube root of the denominator. This eliminates the cube root in the denominator and simplifies the expression.

4. Are there any special rules for rationalizing cubed expressions?

Yes, there are some special rules for rationalizing cubed expressions. For example, when the expression contains a binomial (two terms), we can use the formula (a + b)(a - b) = a2 - b2 to simplify the expression.

5. Can you provide an example of rationalizing a cubed expression?

Sure, let's say we have the expression 1/∛8. To rationalize this expression, we multiply both the numerator and denominator by ∛8. This gives us (1 x ∛8)/(∛8 x ∛8), which simplifies to ∛8/8. The expression is now rationalized since the denominator no longer contains any cube roots.