Challenge - A problem in astronomy

In summary, Given that twin earth-sized planets rotate about each other in a solar system, their star provides the same amount of energy as our sun on average. The plane of their mutual orbit is the same plane in which they rotate about their star. The distance between the planets at mutual apogee and perigee is the same as well. The period of rotation about each other is the same as the period of rotation about the star. The period of rotation about the star is also the same as the period of their individual revolution.
Messiah
Given -
1) Twin earth-sized planets rotate about each other in a solar system.
2) The plane of their mutual orbit is the same plane in which they rotate about their star
3) Their star provides (on average) the same amount of energy as our sun

Questions -
1) What is the size and nature of their star?
2) What is the average distance from the center of their orbit to the star?
3) What is the distance between the planets at mutual apogee and perigee?
4) What is the period of rotation about each other?
5) What is the period of rotation about the star?
6) What is the likely period of their individual revolution?

BONUS POINTS -
Would a moon orbit around both planets
a) in an elipse
b) in a figure '8'?

PS: The winner gets to name the planets

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you haven't given enough information.

Q2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 all depend on the semimajor axis, either of the planet to the CM or the planets' CM to the star.

For the bonus question, it would depend on the initial conditions. If the moon started off at either L4 or L5, it would stay in an elliptical orbit, following the rotation of the planets about each other. Other initial locations and velocities would result in different orbits, including a possibility of an alternating posigrade/retrograde orbit about one of the planets, but not the other (passes close to L1, but doesn't reach it, then turns around).

EDIT: Q1 would be the same stellar class as our sun, but I'll be danged if I can remember what that is... G5?

Last edited:
Originally posted by enigma

EDIT: Q1 would be the same stellar class as our sun, but I'll be danged if I can remember what that is... G5?

G2 V.

Originally posted by axeeonn
G2 V.

Thanks. I was sure there was a 5 in there SOMEwhere. :wink:

Originally posted by enigma
It seems to me that you haven't given enough information.

Q2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 all depend on the semimajor axis, either of the planet to the CM or the planets' CM to the star.

For the bonus question, it would depend on the initial conditions. If the moon started off at either L4 or L5, it would stay in an elliptical orbit, following the rotation of the planets about each other. Other initial locations and velocities would result in different orbits, including a possibility of an alternating posigrade/retrograde orbit about one of the planets, but not the other (passes close to L1, but doesn't reach it, then turns around).

CM of both planets is same as Earth - revolving @ 24 hours (earth time). Rotation about the star - as close to earthly as possible. With the double mass, wouldn't its orbit be further from the star?

1. What is the biggest challenge in astronomy?

The biggest challenge in astronomy is understanding the vastness of the universe and the mysteries that lie within it. We are constantly discovering new objects and phenomena that challenge our current understanding of the cosmos.

2. What are some current problems in astronomy?

Some current problems in astronomy include understanding dark matter and dark energy, determining the origin and nature of cosmic rays, and identifying the source of fast radio bursts.

3. How do scientists study astronomical problems?

Scientists study astronomical problems using a variety of tools and techniques such as telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also collaborate with other researchers and analyze data to make observations and draw conclusions.

4. What impact do astronomical problems have on society?

Astronomical problems have a significant impact on society as they help us better understand our place in the universe and the potential for life beyond Earth. They also drive technological advancements and inspire curiosity and wonder.

5. How can individuals contribute to solving astronomical problems?

Individuals can contribute to solving astronomical problems by supporting scientific research and education, advocating for funding and resources for space exploration, and staying informed about the latest discoveries and developments in astronomy.