Rational Root Theorem Homework: Solving x4 - 4(x3) + 3(x2) -2x +1 = 0

In summary, when using the Rational Root Theorem to solve an equation, it is important to note that if both the first and last coefficients are equal to 1, the only possible rational roots are ±1. If these do not work, then the RRT does not provide much further help in finding solutions. Other methods such as Descartes Rule of Signs or numerical methods may be more effective in finding the roots of polynomials of higher degrees. Additionally, it has been proven that there is no formula for finding the roots of 5th degree polynomials and higher, leading to the development of group theory in mathematics.
Nugso
Gold Member

Homework Statement

x4 - 4(x3) + 3(x2) -2x +1 = 0

Homework Equations

Rational Root Theorem, q/p

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello everyone. Today, I've learned the rational root theorem( it's a bit late, isn't it? :( ) and thus wanted to see how it works. According to the rational root theorem the roots must be ± 1, but wolframalpha says the roots are x ≈ 0.672378 and x ≈ 3.23402. ( It also says there're also complex roots, but it's not what I'm looking for).

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The example equation is not the best candidate for using the RRT to suggest possible roots, because both a0 and an = 1. Once you test both x = 1 and x = -1 as possible solutions and find that they are not, then the RRT doesn't provide much further help in suggesting solutions.

Likes 1 person
Hello Nugso! :smile:
Nugso said:
According to the rational root theorem the roots must be ± 1, but wolframalpha says the roots are x ≈ 0.672378 and x ≈ 3.23402.

Ah, but ≈ 0.672378 and ≈ 3.2340 aren't rational! :wink:

Likes 1 person
@SteamKing

Well, let's assume for x=1 the equation is fine, then would it be OK to say the only root is 1? Or do I have to seek more?

@tiny-tim

It's because the "≈", right? Sorry for being sort of dummy. :shy:

Thanks for the replies SteamKing and tiny-tim, by the way.

Nugso said:
@tiny-tim

It's because the "≈", right? Sorry for being sort of dummy. :shy:

Yup!

Those roots are irrational, hence the "≈" :smile:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
Yup!

Those roots are irrational, hence the "≈" :smile:

Thank you very much!

When both a0 and an are equal to 1, the only thing about the roots which the RRT says is that if 1 or -1 are NOT the solutions, then 1 or -1 will be a factor of the true solution. This doesn't help, since 1 or -1 is a factor of any number. Once 1 or -1 are shown not to be solutions, then the RRT really provides no further help in suggesting possible solutions.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much SteamKing. I think I understand now. If I may, I'd like to ask one more question; how could I solve such problems without RRT? I know it heavily depends upon the problems, but are there any other theories out there to find roots?

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
You can determine the number of real roots by using Descartes Rule of Signs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes'_rule_of_signs

which says for this equation, there are either 4 or 2 real roots.

If you can't find a solution by trial and error, you can graph the equation, or, in this particular case, apply the formula for quartic equations, which is really involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function

Thanks again SteamKing. The links, especially Decartes Rule of Sign, were of help.

Nugso said:
Thanks again SteamKing. The links, especially Decartes Rule of Sign, were of help.

Although there are formulas for the roots of third and 4th degree polynomials, they are rarely used in practice. Usually we solve such problems numerically, using anyone of a number of effective computational algorithms.

Just so you know: for equations of 5th or higher order there are no nice formulas for finding roots, and in such cases (if the rational root theorem fails) we are forced to fall back on numerical methods. Interestingly, it is NOT just the case that nobody has been smart enough to find a formula for 5th degree polynomials; it has actually been *proven* that no such formula can possibly exist!

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Although there are formulas for the roots of third and 4th degree polynomials, they are rarely used in practice. Usually we solve such problems numerically, using anyone of a number of effective computational algorithms.

Just so you know: for equations of 5th or higher order there are no nice formulas for finding roots, and in such cases (if the rational root theorem fails) we are forced to fall back on numerical methods. Interestingly, it is NOT just the case that nobody has been smart enough to find a formula for 5th degree polynomials; it has actually been *proven* that no such formula can possibly exist!

Aha! I recall seeing that there's no formula for 5th degree polnomials. Though I did not know it actually had been proven that no such formula can possibly exist. Sounds interesting to me.

I just looked up the formula for 4th degree polynomials and it looks rather difficult to remember. Thank god they're rarely used as you said. :biggrin:

Thank you very much for the reply.

French Mathematician Evariste Galois is the man who proved that no solutions exist to polynomial equations of degree 5 and higher involving the extraction of roots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Évariste_Galois

He was 21 when he did so and reportedly wrote his proof down the night before his execution during one of the French revolutions/purges in the 19th century. Galois' proof was one of the signal events which started the study of groups and group theory in mathematics.

Likes 1 person
Wow! These forums never cease to amaze me. Last week I was reading a book by Jerry P. King and in the book he tells a story of Evariste Galois, how much he loved maths, how he died(duel) and now I encountered him on these forums!

Sorry if I'm being off-topic. Thank you very much!

Related to Rational Root Theorem Homework: Solving x4 - 4(x3) + 3(x2) -2x +1 = 0

1. What is the Rational Root Theorem?

The Rational Root Theorem is a mathematical principle that helps us find the possible rational roots of a polynomial equation. It states that if a polynomial equation has integer coefficients, then any rational root of the equation must be a factor of the constant term divided by the leading coefficient.

2. How do I use the Rational Root Theorem to solve the given equation?

To use the Rational Root Theorem to solve the given equation, we first need to list all the possible rational roots by finding the factors of the constant term and the leading coefficient. Then, we can use synthetic division or long division to test each potential root and find the roots that satisfy the equation.

3. What is the significance of finding rational roots in a polynomial equation?

Finding rational roots in a polynomial equation helps us to factor the equation and find its solutions. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the graph of the equation and make predictions about its x-intercepts.

4. Can the Rational Root Theorem be used to find irrational roots?

No, the Rational Root Theorem can only be used to find rational roots. Irrational roots cannot be determined using this theorem.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Rational Root Theorem?

Yes, the Rational Root Theorem can only be used for polynomial equations with integer coefficients. It also does not guarantee that all the listed potential roots will be actual roots of the equation, as there may be irrational or imaginary roots as well.