Rational Representation of a Repeating Decimal

In summary: In this case, since there are three terms, the sum is\sum_{i=1}^\infty0.36(10)^{3-2n} which is\sum_{i=1}^\infty0.36(10)^{6-2n}In summary, HallsofIvy has found that the sum of an infinite geometric sequence is\sum_{i=1}^\in
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Find the rational number representation of the repeating decimal.

1.[tex]0.\overline{36}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it has something to do with infinite geometric sequences but I'm not sure what.

what would your ratio be for a repeating decimal, I've thought about it and can't seam to reason it out, however I know the answer is [tex]\frac{4}{11}[/tex] from my calculator.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x= 0.\overline{36}= 0.36363636...[/tex]

[tex]100x= 36.36363636...[/tex]
The point is that since the "repeating" portion never stops, those two numbers have exactly the same decimal part and subtracting cancels them:
100x- x= 99x= 36. Write that as a fraction and reduce it.

Another, more "rigorous" method (so you don't have to argue about "canceling" an infinite string of digits) is to use the fact that this is a geometric series:
[tex]0.\overline{36}= .36+ .0036+ .000036+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= .36(1+ .36+ .0036+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)[/tex]
a geometric series with common ratio, r, equal to .36. Its sum, by the usual formula, is
[tex]\frac{.36}{1- .36}[/tex]

simplifying [tex]\frac{0.36}{1-0.36}[/tex] does not come out to a fraction that equals [tex]0.\overline{36}[/tex]

I have found the infinite geometric sequence summation to be:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty0.36(10)^{2-2n}[/tex]

which would yield [tex]0.\overline{36}[/tex]
I understand the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric sequence, however it doesn't seam to work in this case.

If r is really 10 then [tex]10^\infty[/tex] dosen't tend to 0 so the formula isen't valid. However, you have the exponents, I'm, not sure how you'd deal with thoes.

Last edited:
themadhatter1 said:
simplifying [tex]\frac{0.36}{1-0.36}[/tex] does not come out to a fraction that equals [tex]0.\overline{36}[/tex]

I have found the infinite geometric sequence summation to be:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty0.36(10)^{2-2n}[/tex]

which would yield [tex]0.\overline{36}[/tex]
I understand the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric sequence, however it doesn't seam to work in this case.

If r is really 10 then [tex]10^\infty[/tex] dosen't tend to 0 so the formula isen't valid. However, you have the exponents, I'm, not sure how you'd deal with thoes.

The common ratio r isn't 0.36 (Halls misspoke) and it isn't 10 either. What is it? You've got the geometric series correct. So what's the ratio between two successive terms like a_2/a_1?

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]x= 0.\overline{36}= 0.36363636...[/tex]

[tex]100x= 36.36363636...[/tex]
The point is that since the "repeating" portion never stops, those two numbers have exactly the same decimal part and subtracting cancels them:
100x- x= 99x= 36. Write that as a fraction and reduce it.

Another, more "rigorous" method (so you don't have to argue about "canceling" an infinite string of digits) is to use the fact that this is a geometric series:
[tex]0.\overline{36}= .36+ .0036+ .000036+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= .36(1+ .36+ .0036+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)[/tex]
The last part should be .36(1 + 10-2 + 10-4 + ... ).
The common ratio r is 1/100, so the sum is .36(1 - 1/100) = 36/99.
HallsofIvy said:
a geometric series with common ratio, r, equal to .36. Its sum, by the usual formula, is
[tex]\frac{.36}{1- .36}[/tex]

Dick said:
The common ratio r isn't 0.36 (Halls misspoke) and it isn't 10 either. What is it? You've got the geometric series correct. So what's the ratio between two successive terms like a_2/a_1?

Ahh... the common ratio would be 10-2 or 1/100 which is the same thing.

so

[tex]\frac{36/100}{1-1/100}=\frac{3,600}{9,900}=\frac{36}{99}=\frac{4}{11}=0.\overline{36}[/tex]

Thanks!

HallsofIvy's first method was perfectly rigourous and very neat. The second method is as follows:
[tex]
0.363636... & = & 36/10^2+36/10^4+36/10^6+... = 36(10^{-2}+10^{-4}+10^{-6}+...)
[/tex]
The series in brackets is a geometric progression with first term 10^{-2} and common ratio 10^{-2}, the sum for this is series is 10^{-2}/(1-10^{-2})=1/99. So the rational form is 36/99 as HallsofIvy already calculated.

Mat

Related to Rational Representation of a Repeating Decimal

What is a rational representation of a repeating decimal?

A rational representation of a repeating decimal is a way to express a repeating decimal as a fraction. It involves identifying a pattern in the repeating digits and using that pattern to create a fraction that is equivalent to the decimal.

Why is it important to have a rational representation of a repeating decimal?

Having a rational representation helps us to better understand and work with repeating decimals. It allows us to express these decimals as precise fractions, making calculations and comparisons easier.

How do you convert a repeating decimal to a rational representation?

To convert a repeating decimal to a rational representation, you first identify the repeating pattern. Then, you create a fraction where the numerator is the repeating pattern and the denominator is a number with the same number of digits as the repeating pattern, with all 9s. Finally, you simplify the fraction if possible.

Is every repeating decimal able to be represented rationally?

Yes, every repeating decimal can be represented rationally. This is because every repeating decimal can be expressed as a fraction, even if the fraction is an infinite series.

Can rational representations of repeating decimals be used for all types of calculations?

Yes, rational representations of repeating decimals can be used for all types of calculations. They allow for precise and accurate calculations, and are equivalent to the original repeating decimal.