Rational function transformation

In summary, the question is: Rewrite the rational equation y=(-5x-18)/(x+4) to show how it is a transformation of y=1/x.The rational equation y=(-5x-18)/(x+4) can be rewritten as y=\frac{5x+18}{x+4} using the following equation: y=-\frac{5x+18}{x+4}=-\frac{5(x+4)-2}{x+4}
woof123
the question is: Rewrite the rational equation y=(-5x-18)/(x+4) to show how it is a transformation of y=1/x. describe transformations

looks like it is shifted 4 to left, then stretched by factor of -5x-18. Is that accurate? would you elaborate beyond that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We are given:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{5x+18}{x+4}\)

And to show this is a transformation of:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{1}{x}\)

We need to write $y$ in the form:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=a\frac{1}{x-b}+c\)

where $a$ is the vertical stretching factor, $b$ is the horizontal shift, and $c$ is the vertical shift.

So, I would observe that:

\(\displaystyle 5x+18=5(x+4)-2\)

Can you continue?

sorry but I don't see how factoring the numberator helps get it into the form you described.[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]y=-(5x+18)/(x+4)[/desmos] I see the function is shifted left 4 (as accomplished by the denominator but I'm not understanding how the numerator gets it shifted down 4 (approx). Is the numberator you have now factored considered "c"?

What MarkFL is saying is that you need to change the form of your function. So do some division:
\(\displaystyle y = - \frac{5x + 18}{x + 4} = - \left ( 5 + \frac{-2}{x + 4} \right )\)

How do you compare this with \(\displaystyle a \frac{1}{x - b} + c\)?

-Dan

sorry but i don't understand how those two expressions are equal. what happened to the 18

woof123 said:
sorry but i don't understand how those two expressions are equal. what happened to the 18
I'm not quite good enough with tables to show you the division, so I'll prove it backward:
\(\displaystyle 5 + \frac{-2}{x + 4} = \frac{5(x + 4)}{x + 4} + \frac{-2}{x + 4}\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{5(x + 4) - 2}{x + 4} = \frac{5x + 20 - 2}{x + 4} = \frac{5x + 18}{x + 4}\)

This site has a worked example. You should have done this in either the class you are taking now or previously.

-Dan

This is what I intended for you to do:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{5x+18}{x+4}=-\frac{5(x+4)-2}{x+4}=\frac{2}{x+4}-5\)

And so we see that the vertical stretch is 2, the horizontal shift is 4 units to the left, and the vertical shift is 5 units down.

Just do the long division. After that, you should arrive with an equation that allows division by x + 4.
Such equation should be something like -(5x + 18) = . . ..

Related to Rational function transformation

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be written as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It can also be thought of as a fraction where the numerator and denominator are both polynomial expressions.

2. What is a transformation of a rational function?

A transformation of a rational function is a change in its shape or position on a graph. This can be achieved by altering the coefficients of the polynomial functions or by performing operations such as translations, reflections, or dilations.

3. How do you graph a transformed rational function?

To graph a transformed rational function, you can first identify the key points on the original function (such as the asymptotes and intercepts) and then apply the necessary transformations. You can also use a table of values to plot points and connect them to create the graph.

4. What is the significance of asymptotes in a rational function?

Asymptotes are important in a rational function because they represent the values that the function will approach but never reach. They can also help determine the domain and range of the function. Horizontal asymptotes occur when the degree of the numerator and denominator are the same, while vertical asymptotes occur when the denominator is equal to zero.

5. How do you find the inverse of a transformed rational function?

To find the inverse of a transformed rational function, you can switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function, which is a reflection of the original function over the line y=x. Remember to check for any restrictions on the domain of the inverse function.