Rational Equation: 9/se^2-4 = 4-5s/s-2

• MHB
  • Thread starter clotfelterjk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the conversation discusses a rational equation and the need for parentheses to clarify the problem. The use of 'e' as an exponent is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to get a common denominator and solve for s.
clotfelterjk
9/se^{2}-4 = 4-5s/s-2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello clotfelterjk and welcome to MHB! :D

clotfelterjk said:
9/se^{2}-4 = 4-5s/s-2
It's not clear from your question exactly what it is that you are trying to do. Do you want to solve for s?
Can you add parentheses where appropriate? E.g. 9/(se^2-4) = (4 - 5s)/(s - 2). Also, is 'e' Euler's
constant?

We ask that members show any work or thoughts on how to begin. Have you made any effort to
solve this problem yourself? If not, do you have any thoughts on where to begin? We ask this to avoid
duplication of effort on our part.

The example you gave is correct. As for the ''e'' that just stands for exponent. I hope that clears things up. Sorry for the vagueness.:)

Given that $s^2-4=(s-2)(s+2)$ can you get a common denominator and write the rational equation as
a single quadratic equalling $0$?

Please show your work (that's one of the rules here, for reasons already explained. We would also like
you to learn by doing).

To avoid violating the forum rules, I can't exactly give you the correct method prematurely.
At first, I thought the OP simply meant \(\displaystyle \frac{9}{se^2-4}=\frac{4-5s}{s-2}\). To answer this one, s ≠ 4/e², 2.
So Greg as already given you how to factor the denominator, which gives us both (s - 2)(s + 2) & s - 2.
Can these 2 denominators equal to 0? Why or why not?

Related to Rational Equation: 9/se^2-4 = 4-5s/s-2

1. What is a rational equation?

A rational equation is an equation that contains at least one fraction with a variable in the denominator. It is also known as a fractional equation.

2. How do I solve a rational equation?

To solve a rational equation, you need to first find the common denominator and then cross-multiply to eliminate the fractions. After that, you can solve the resulting equation as you would a regular algebraic equation.

3. What is the common mistake when solving rational equations?

The most common mistake when solving rational equations is forgetting to exclude any extraneous solutions. This can happen when you multiply both sides of the equation by a variable that is also a solution to the denominator, resulting in a false solution.

4. Can a rational equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a rational equation can have more than one solution. In fact, it is common for rational equations to have multiple solutions. However, it is important to check for extraneous solutions and simplify the final answer to its lowest form.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct for a rational equation?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then it is a valid solution. You can also check your solution by graphing the original equation and seeing if the point of intersection matches your solution.