Ratio of resistance in parallel and series

In summary, the conversation discusses two resistors R1 and R2 connected to a voltage source with voltage V. When connected in series, the current is Is, and when connected in parallel, the current is 8.0 times Is. The question is asking for the ratio R2/R1, but the necessary formulas to solve for this ratio are not provided.
mitsuruangel

Homework Statement

Two resistors R1 and R2, where R1 > R2, are connected to a voltage source with voltage V. When the resistors are connected in series, the current is Is. When the resistors are connected in parallel, the current from the source is Ip = 8.0Is. What is the ratio R2/R1?
I have played with this and I don't understand how to get it. Any help would be awsome

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mitsuruangel! Welcome to PF!

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

What formulas are you using for Ip and Is, as a function of V R1 and R2 ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I'm not seeing any tags in my view, tiny. Do you see some?

Hi berkeman! :wink:

Yes, just above where I'm now typing, on the Reply to Thread page. :smile:

Hmm. I see this instead. Wonder what I need to do to see the tags...

Tags
None

How many do you see?

ah, you're still on the main page, I'm on the Reply to Thread page (click "QUOTE" or "Go Advanced") :wink:

Ohhh! I understand now. Thanks.

[/hijack]

Related to Ratio of resistance in parallel and series

1. What is the difference between resistance in parallel and series?

In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side by side, allowing multiple paths for the current to flow. In a series circuit, the resistors are connected end to end, so the current flows through each resistor in sequence.

2. How does the ratio of resistance in parallel and series affect the overall circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance decreases as more resistors are added, resulting in a higher current flow. In a series circuit, the total resistance increases as more resistors are added, resulting in a lower current flow.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit can be calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

4. Is the ratio of resistance in parallel always smaller than in series?

Yes, the ratio of resistance in parallel will always be smaller than in series. This is because in a parallel circuit, the total resistance decreases as more resistors are added, while in a series circuit, the total resistance increases as more resistors are added.

5. How does the ratio of resistance in parallel and series affect the voltage and current in a circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each resistor is the same, while the current is divided among the resistors. In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout the circuit, while the voltage is divided among the resistors.