Getting hammered is one thing

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: What is the quality like for those pins now? I've heard that some magnetic stainless isn't low quality, it's just a particular kind of stainless. Most of your silverware is probably magnetic stainless. I love stainless steel.In summary, Six nails embedded in the skull of construction worker Isidro Mejia, 39, after an industrial incident caused a nail gun to shoot nails into his head and brain on April 19, 2004, are seen in this X-ray image from Providence Holy Cross Hospital in Los Angeles. Broken nails are seen in the image.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Six nails embedded in the skull of construction worker Isidro Mejia, 39, after an industrial incident caused a nail gun to shoot nails into his head and brain on April 19, 2004, are seen in this X-ray image from Providence Holy Cross Hospital in Los Angeles [continued]

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040505/capt.la10205051748.nailed_skull_la102.jpg [Broken]

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/040505/480/la10205051748&e=1&ncid=1756 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! We did mobile CT at Holy Cross, Ivan! Remember??
I thought CNN had a decent lateral view (xray) of this incident.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/West/05/05/nailed.skull.ap/ [Broken]

They could have got those nails out real easy by throwing him into an MR scanner! :biggrin: :biggrin: :eek:

There are some contraversial pictures in British tabloids about medical staff leaving instruments in patients, including a pair of scissors in one woman.

I heard about the woman with the scissors; she complained about the pain but her complaints were dismissed.

I wonder if this guy can now hear radio stations in his head?

They could have got those nails out real easy by throwing him into an MR scanner!

When Tsu and I both worked in mobile imaging, some WWI vet entered a mobile MRI unit and had the 1918 vintage pins removed from his leg by the 1.0+ Tesla field, of the 1981 vintage NMR - now called MRI. Apparently the stainless was of such low quality that it was significantly ferromagnetic.

Ouch

On Ripley's museum I saw this metal pole penetrate a guy's skull and he miraculously survived.

The_Professional said:
On Ripley's museum I saw this metal pole penetrate a guy's skull and he miraculously survived.

Woah, that's a little harsh to show people! I bet he doesn't do many repeat performances :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The_Professional said:
Ouch

It sounds like you may be referring to the story of Phineas Gage. He was a railway worker that was standing over an accidental explosion that sent a tamping iron through his skull in 1848. This incident had a huge influence of the birth of biopsychology because Gage's personailty was drastically different after the accident.

Here's a good place for info: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hbs/GAGEPAGE/index.htm

Ivan Seeking said:
Apparently the stainless was of such low quality that it was significantly ferromagnetic.
Magnetic stainless isn't low quality, it's just a particular kind of stainless. Very common, too. Most of your silverware is probably magnetic stainless. I love stainless steel.

Anyway. It says in the article Tsunami linked to that one of the nails got his Wernicke's area, and now his speech is affected. What bothers me is it looks like the same nail went in all the way to his limbic system. I can't imagine this poor guy isn't going to start having seizures eventually, and possibly personality alterations, since the limic system is where emotions are orchestrated. That was really quite an awkward, ugly accident, that he fell on a guy holding a nail gun.

Jenn_ucsb said:
It sounds like you may be referring to the story of Phineas Gage. He was a railway worker that was standing over an accidental explosion that sent a tamping iron through his skull in 1848. This incident had a huge influence of the birth of biopsychology because Gage's personailty was drastically different after the accident.

Here's a good place for info: http://www.deakin.edu.au/hbs/GAGEPAGE/index.htm

Yes, the name rings a bell; that must be him. Thanks Jenn

Geez... That many nails. Its a good thing he didn't die.

It reminds me of surgeons who unintentionally forgets surgical instruments while operating on their patients. Double ouch.

Ivan Seeking said:
When Tsu and I both worked in mobile imaging, some WWI vet entered a mobile MRI unit and had the 1918 vintage pins removed from his leg by the 1.0+ Tesla field, of the 1981 vintage NMR - now called MRI. Apparently the stainless was of such low quality that it was significantly ferromagnetic.

It yanked them out through the skin? Wow! :eek:

What does it mean to "get hammered"?

Getting hammered is a slang term that refers to being heavily intoxicated or drunk.

Why is getting hammered dangerous?

Getting hammered can be dangerous because it impairs your judgment and physical abilities, making you more vulnerable to accidents or risky behaviors. It can also lead to long-term health problems such as liver damage and addiction.

How much alcohol does it take to get hammered?

The amount of alcohol it takes to get hammered varies depending on factors such as body weight, tolerance, and the type of alcohol consumed. Generally, it is considered to be a level of intoxication beyond legal limits for driving.

What are the signs of someone who is hammered?

Some signs of someone who is hammered include slurred speech, stumbling, loss of coordination, impaired judgment, and changes in behavior or mood.

What can I do to prevent getting hammered?

To prevent getting hammered, you can pace your drinks, alternate with non-alcoholic beverages, eat before and while drinking, and know your limits. It is also important to have a designated driver or plan for a safe way to get home.