Ratio for Kindetic and Potential energy

In summary, the ratio of kinetic energy to potential energy in a block-spring system in SHM at time t = 0 is [tan(phi)]2, where phi is the phase angle and w is the angular frequency. Different forms of the answer may be required for it to be marked as correct.
Awer1
If the phase angle for a block-spring system in SHM is φ and the block's position is given by x = xm cos(ωt+φ), what is the ratio of the kinetic energy to the potential energy at time t = 0? State your answers in terms of the given variables.

x =xm Cos(wt + phi)
v = -w(xm)sin(wt +phi)
K = (1/2 mv2)
P = (1/2 m w2 x2)

dividing K/P = [v/wx]2
substitute v and x we get: [(-w(xm)sin(wt +phi)/(w)(xm Cos(wt + phi))]2
simplifying we get: [-wtan(wt + phi)/w]2 = [tan(wt + phi)]2
at t = 0 we should get the following: [v/wx]2 = [tan(phi)]2

The answer is marked wrong, am I interpreting the question incorrectly? I know what ratio is.. and ratio for Kinetic energy and Potential should be K/P right?

Physics news on Phys.org
you are absolutely right ! its odd that it is marked wrong .. maybe you should change the form of your answer? try different form maybe that will work ..

oh good I thought I was going crazy. I was only allowed three attempts. so I used three different formats that were all the same thing.. still marked wrong.

it happens, sometimes you have the right answer but i.e you have to express it in a certain form or in a certain sigificance .. :) anyway, don't worry you had the right answer ..

Related to Ratio for Kindetic and Potential energy

1. How is the ratio of kinetic and potential energy determined?

The ratio of kinetic and potential energy is determined by dividing the kinetic energy by the potential energy. This can be calculated using the equation KE/PE = 1/2mv^2/mgh, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is its height.

2. What is the significance of the ratio of kinetic and potential energy?

The ratio of kinetic and potential energy is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between an object's motion and its position. It also allows us to determine the type of energy an object has at a given moment.

3. How does the ratio of kinetic and potential energy change during motion?

As an object moves, the ratio of kinetic and potential energy changes. When an object is at rest, it has all potential energy and no kinetic energy. As it begins to move, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. When it reaches its peak height, it has all potential energy and no kinetic energy. As it falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases again.

4. Can the ratio of kinetic and potential energy be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of kinetic and potential energy can be greater than 1. This occurs when an object has more kinetic energy than potential energy, which can happen when it is moving at a high velocity or has a low position.

5. How does the ratio of kinetic and potential energy relate to conservation of energy?

The ratio of kinetic and potential energy is directly related to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the case of an object moving between kinetic and potential energy, the total energy remains constant, but it is converted between the two forms.