Rate of water flow experiment question

In summary: We do such experiments with certain conditions like flow should be streamlined and not turbulent- other dissipative forces like adhesion of the liquid to the walls may be neglected and no vortices formed- well i do not have any idea about the diameter of the jar/bottle- may be the last 50cc of liguid may not be a streamlined flow-so that precaution is wise enough.
Mike Shandon
Hi, I am mike from australia, I am new to the forums and am having trouble answering the question below, I have included some information on the experiment as well.

You are given a water bottle with a pin sized hole in the bottom, and a line drawn around the bottle at the level that 50cm3 of water would occupy. You are asked to fill the bottle with 350cm3 of water, and then record the amount of time it takes to reach the 50cm3 marked, essentially you are letting out 300cm3 of water, from this you can go on to calculate the water flow rate.

The question I am having trouble on is:

- Explain why you stop timing when the water level reaches 50cm3?

A possible solution I thought of was, that the water flow rate would decrease, if the bottle was filled to 300cm3 and allowed to reach zero, therefore giving an inaccurate answer.Thank you in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike Shandon said:
A possible solution I thought of was, that the water flow rate would decrease, if the bottle was filled to 300cm3 and allowed to reach zero, therefore giving an inaccurate answer.
I agree. The water flow rate approaches zero, so it is hard to tell when the bottle is "exactly empty".

Likes Mike Shandon
Mike Shandon said:
Explain why you stop timing when the water level reaches 50cm3?

A possible solution I thought of was, that the water flow rate would decrease, if the bottle was filled to 300cm3 and allowed to reach zero, therefore giving an inaccurate answer.Thank you in advance for any help

we do such experiments with certain conditions like flow should be streamlined and not turbulent-
other dissipative forces like adhesion of the liquid to the walls may be neglected and no vortices formed- well i do not have any idea about the diameter of the jar/bottle
- may be the last 50cc of liguid may not be a streamlined flow-so that precaution is wise enough.

Likes Mike Shandon
Thank you for the replies, they were very helpful

1. What is the purpose of the rate of water flow experiment?

The purpose of the rate of water flow experiment is to measure the speed at which water moves through a certain system or channel. This can help us understand the efficiency of different systems and how they affect the movement of water.

2. How do you conduct the rate of water flow experiment?

The rate of water flow experiment can be conducted by measuring the volume of water passing through a specific point in a given amount of time. This can be done using a measuring cup and a stopwatch, or by using specialized equipment such as a flow meter.

3. What factors can affect the rate of water flow in an experiment?

Some factors that can affect the rate of water flow in an experiment include the size and shape of the channel or system, the viscosity of the water, and any obstacles or barriers in the water's path. Temperature and pressure can also play a role in the rate of water flow.

4. How can the rate of water flow experiment be useful in real-world applications?

The rate of water flow experiment can be useful in various real-world applications, such as designing efficient irrigation systems, predicting and preventing flood risks, and understanding the flow of water in streams and rivers for environmental conservation efforts.

5. What are some potential sources of error in the rate of water flow experiment?

Potential sources of error in the rate of water flow experiment include human error in measuring the volume of water or recording time, variations in temperature or pressure, and discrepancies in the equipment used. It is important to conduct multiple trials and calculate an average to reduce the impact of these potential errors.