Rate of heat transfer for a steel object in light oil

In summary, when conducting a thermal shock test on a stainless steel object in light oil at -55°C to +140°C, the time it takes to reach +140°C after being transferred from -55°C will depend on the specific heat capacity, coefficient of heat transfer, and properties of the object and fluid. Assuming agitation of the oil baths and a lumped-mass model of the object with a uniform temperature, ballpark calculations can be made for cooling/heating times. However, for more complicated geometries, a more detailed analysis may be necessary.
Ezza_Eng

Homework Statement

I am required to conduct a thermal shock test where by a stainless steel object (complicated geometry) is to go from one tank of light oil at -55°C to another tank of the same light oil at +140°C, then back the -55°C tank. This is to be repeated 5000 times.

In order to roughly determine how long the test shall take (primarily for costing reasons), I need to know once the test object is at -55°C and it is transferred to the hot tank at +140°C, how long it takes to reach +140°C.
I assume to go from +140 to -55°c will take the same time?
The transfer time between the two tanks is known and will be quoted as a maximum time. This will be added to the heat transfer time that I am looking for.

Both tanks are to be constantly held at their respective temperatures.

Homework Equations

Q=mCΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find values for specific heat capacity and coefficient s of heat transfer, but I am not sure how to use them in this situation. Do I use the difference of the heat capacities of the steel and the light oil? It seems correct to consider the properties of both the test object and the fluid it is submerged in.

Is it as simple as using the equation above and then applying the work that can be done by the heating/cooling equipment of the relevant tanks? But as I stated earlier, the tanks are to be held at temperature.

I am sure this is a fairly simple solution and I am missing something key to it! any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ezza_Eng said:

Homework Statement

I am required to conduct a thermal shock test where by a stainless steel object (complicated geometry) is to go from one tank of light oil at -55°C to another tank of the same light oil at +140°C, then back the -55°C tank. This is to be repeated 5000 times.

In order to roughly determine how long the test shall take (primarily for costing reasons), I need to know once the test object is at -55°C and it is transferred to the hot tank at +140°C, how long it takes to reach +140°C.
I assume to go from +140 to -55°c will take the same time?
The transfer time between the two tanks is known and will be quoted as a maximum time. This will be added to the heat transfer time that I am looking for.

Both tanks are to be constantly held at their respective temperatures.

Homework Equations

Q=mCΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find values for specific heat capacity and coefficient s of heat transfer, but I am not sure how to use them in this situation. Do I use the difference of the heat capacities of the steel and the light oil? It seems correct to consider the properties of both the test object and the fluid it is submerged in.

Is it as simple as using the equation above and then applying the work that can be done by the heating/cooling equipment of the relevant tanks? But as I stated earlier, the tanks are to be held at temperature.

I am sure this is a fairly simple solution and I am missing something key to it! any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Ezza_Eng, Welcome to Physics Forums.

"Consider a spherical cow"... Your problem has enough vague patches that I think you're entitled to make some crude assumptions. For example, if you assume that that the oil baths are agitated you won't have to worry about temperature gradients therein.

A lumped-mass model of the object along with an estimate of its surface area in order to find a figure for thermal resistance at its boundary will probably suffice for ballpark calculations of cooling/heating times. Assume that its internal thermal conduction rate is sufficiently larger than the heat transfer rate at the surface so the object has an essentially uniform temperature.

Of course, if the object is pathologically shaped -- like a large ball of metal with giant heat sink fins attached by a thick rod to one point, you're going to be in deep weeds :smile:

Related to Rate of heat transfer for a steel object in light oil

1. What is the rate of heat transfer for a steel object in light oil?

The rate of heat transfer for a steel object in light oil depends on various factors such as the temperature difference between the object and the oil, the surface area of the object, and the thermal conductivity of the oil. It can be calculated using the formula Q = (kAΔT)/d, where Q is the rate of heat transfer, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, ΔT is the temperature difference, and d is the thickness of the object.

2. How does the temperature difference affect the rate of heat transfer for a steel object in light oil?

The greater the temperature difference between the steel object and the light oil, the higher the rate of heat transfer will be. This is because heat naturally flows from a higher temperature to a lower temperature, so a larger temperature difference creates a stronger driving force for heat transfer.

3. Does the surface area of the steel object affect the rate of heat transfer in light oil?

Yes, the surface area of the steel object does affect the rate of heat transfer in light oil. A larger surface area means more contact between the object and the oil, allowing for more heat to be transferred. This is why objects with fins or a larger surface area are more efficient at transferring heat compared to objects with a smaller surface area.

4. What is the role of thermal conductivity in the rate of heat transfer for a steel object in light oil?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. In the case of a steel object in light oil, a higher thermal conductivity for the oil means that heat can be transferred more easily and quickly. Therefore, the rate of heat transfer for a steel object in light oil will be higher if the oil has a higher thermal conductivity.

5. How does the thickness of the steel object impact the rate of heat transfer in light oil?

The thickness of the steel object can affect the rate of heat transfer in light oil. A thicker object will have a longer distance for heat to travel through, resulting in a slower rate of heat transfer. On the other hand, a thinner object will have a shorter distance for heat to travel through, resulting in a faster rate of heat transfer. However, the impact of thickness on the rate of heat transfer also depends on the thermal conductivity of the steel object and the oil.