Rate of change of angular velocity

In summary, the angular velocity changes because the tangential velocity stays the same. However, when the radius from the axis becomes zero, the motion then transforms to pure rotation.
deep838
Let a particle of mass m be rotating in a circle, radius be r, axis of rotation through the center and perpendicular to the plane of motion.
Now if the radius is made decrease somehow at some rate until it get's zero, how do I find the rate of change in angular velocity?
Also, the angular momentum being conserved, dL/dt=0, ie, no torque acts on it. Yet since the angular velocity is changing, there has to be an angular acceleration. So how can there not be a torque? Is it because w*dI/dt exactly cancels I*dw/dt?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't studied this yet but I'll give it a shot

Using [itex]L=rmv[/itex] you can work out [itex]\frac{dv}{dr}[/itex], since [itex]L[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] are constants.

Using that equation and a given rate of change of the radius ([itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]) you can work out [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex].

:)

Edit: As for your other questions ... idk what torque or interia are :3

dv/dr works out to -v/r...
dv/dt works out to -v/r(dr/dt)...
is that it?
i really don't think that's all!
let's wait for some other opinions!

deep838 said:
dv/dr works out to -v/r...
dv/dt works out to -v/r(dr/dt)...
is that it?
i really don't think that's all!
let's wait for some other opinions!

That really is pretty much about it.

If you want to visualize what's going on better, and see exactly how the angular velocity can change without any torque being applied, consider a single moment frozen in time. The mass is moving with linear velocity v in a direction perpendicular to the radius. Apply more centripetal force to reduce r, and v doesn't change.

ok got it... thanks to both of you.

deep838 said:
the angular momentum being conserved, dL/dt=0, ie, no torque acts on it. Yet since the angular velocity is changing, there has to be an angular acceleration. So how can there not be a torque?

attachment.php?attachmentid=46972&stc=1&d=1336163618.png

In the diagram the dotted line represents a section of a typical trajectory when a circling mass is pulled closer to the central axis.

The dark grey arrow represents the centripetal force.

To understand the angular acceleration it helps to think of that centripetal force as decomposed in two perpendicular components:
- one at right angles to the instantaneous velocity
- one parallel to the instantaneous velocity.

The parallel component increases the angular velocity.

The general expression is 'contraction of a rotating system'. The example you ask about, a mass circling a central point, is a specific case of that.
When a rotating system is contracting the centripetal force is doing work, and the overall kinetic energy of the system increases.

The only case where the centripetal force is not doing work is when the motion is perfectly circular.

deep838 said:
Let a particle of mass m be rotating in a circle, radius be r, axis of rotation through the center and perpendicular to the plane of motion.
Now if the radius is made decrease somehow at some rate until it get's zero, how do I find the rate of change in angular velocity?

To find the angular acceleration as a function of the velocity in radial direction. First some remarks:

I will use the following names:

[itex]v_r[/itex] velocity component in radial direction
[itex]v_c[/itex] velocity component at right angles to the radial vector (circling component).
[itex]\omega[/itex] Angular velocity

As pointed out earlier in this thread:
Angular momentum L is given by:
[tex]L = mv_{c}r[/tex]
So you can compare two states:
1 - before contraction
2 - after contraction

You start with circular motion (state 1), you reduce the radial distance by half, from there onwards circular motion again (state 2). Then the following applies:
[tex]v_{c,1}r_{1} = v_{c,2}r_{2} [/tex]
From state 1 to state 2:
- when the radial distance is halved the tangential velocity is doubled.
- when the radial distance is halved the angular velocity is quadrupled.

In reply #4 Nugatory offered the suggestion that 'the angular velocity changes because the tangential velocity stays the same'. Obviously that suggestion is wrong, as it violates [itex]v_{c,1}r_{1} = v_{c,2}r_{2} [/itex].

To find the angular acceleration as a function of the velocity in radial direction.

We know that [itex]\omega r^2[/itex] is a constant, so the derivative of that expression with respect to time is zero:
[tex] \omega r^2 = constant \qquad \Rightarrow \qquad \frac{d(\omega r^2)}{dt} = 0 [/tex]
Differentiating:
[tex]r^2 \frac{d\omega}{dt} + \omega \frac{d(r^2)}{dt} = 0[/tex]
I want to work towards an expression with the radial velocity component (dr/dt) so I use the chain rule.
[tex]r^2 \frac{d\omega}{dt} + 2 r \omega \frac{dr}{dt} = 0[/tex]
Dividing both sides by r2, and rearranging:
[tex]\frac{d\omega}{dt} = - \frac{2 \omega}{r} \frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

that's understandable... but tell me this... if the angular acceleration, α[itex]\propto[/itex]-r-1, then what will happen th it at r=0?
in that case, α approaches ∞ and the angular velcity, ω, should also become ∞.
but seeing this problem using our 'common sense', isn't it so that ω will have a finite value? the radius from the axis becoming 0, the motion then transforms to pure rotation... with K.E. [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Iω2 being equal to [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2 plus the work done to reduce r!
the two solutions appear contradicting...

Hello?? Anyone there?? It's been a long time with no replies.

The math applies to a point mass. A mass sphere will have a finite ω when pulled to the center.

A hypothetical point particle has no angular moment of inertia which is why ω goes to infinity.

Ryoko said:
A hypothetical point particle has no angular moment of inertia which is why ω goes to infinity.
I don't get that. I thought all particles have moment of inertia.

deep838 said:
I don't get that. I thought all particles have moment of inertia.
A classical point particle has no intrinsic spin in the way,for example, a sphere can have a spin angular momentum about its center of mass. If a classical point particle is in say a circular orbit of radius ##r## then, after orienting the coordinates as needed, its orbital angular momentum can be written in coordinates as ##L = mrv\hat{z} = mr^{2}\omega \hat{z}##. It doesn't of course have a spin angular momentum in the above sense, on account of it being a classical point particle.

I was thinking along the lines that his imaginary particle had no dimensions, so it wouldn't have any angular inertia. What happens at a quantum level is another story.

hmm... pretty complicated stuff! will get back to these things when i'll get to know all these things.

Related to Rate of change of angular velocity

What is the definition of rate of change of angular velocity?

The rate of change of angular velocity, also known as angular acceleration, is the measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing over time. It is represented by the symbol α and is measured in radians per second squared.

How is rate of change of angular velocity calculated?

The rate of change of angular velocity can be calculated by taking the difference between the final and initial angular velocities and dividing it by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula α = (ωf - ωi)/Δt, where ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the difference between angular velocity and rate of change of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating, while rate of change of angular velocity is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity is changing over time. In other words, angular velocity tells us how fast an object is rotating at a particular moment, while rate of change of angular velocity tells us how the speed of rotation is changing.

What factors can affect the rate of change of angular velocity?

The rate of change of angular velocity can be affected by several factors, including the torque applied to the object, the moment of inertia of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. The shape and mass distribution of the object can also affect its rate of change of angular velocity.

How is rate of change of angular velocity related to rotational motion?

Rate of change of angular velocity is a crucial concept in rotational motion. It is directly related to the net torque applied to an object, according to Newton's Second Law for rotational motion (τ = Iα). This means that a greater rate of change of angular velocity can be achieved by applying a larger torque or by decreasing the moment of inertia of the object.