Rate of Change for Ball Thrown: How to Use the Formula f(b)-f(a)/b-a

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the rate of change using the formula f(b)-f(a)/b-a. The person is unsure how to go about it and asks for assistance. They are given a specific function h(t) and are asked to calculate the rate of change at two different times. The correct formula is explained and it is mentioned that the person has made some mistakes in their previous answers. The conversation ends with a reminder to use parentheses when writing fractions in single-line text.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

10pdx1D.png

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know those are correct. Could I have some assistance on how to solve for the rate of change? I know the formula is f(b)-f(a)/b-a but not sure how to go about it

Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

As far as I know those are correct. Could I have some assistance on how to solve for the rate of change? I know the formula is f(b)-f(a)/b-a but not sure how to go about it

What if f(t) = h(t)? Could you pick two times, t1 = a and t2 = b, and calculate the rate of change, knowing h(t) as a function of t?

Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

10pdx1D.png

That formula is saying take the change in height f(b) - f(a) and divide by the change in time b - a. Essentially, avg rate = total displavement over time for that displacement

Unfortunately most of the answers you give here are wrong. You are given that [itex]h(t)= 56t- 16t^2= -16(t^2- (7/2)t)[/itex]. Completing the square gives [itex]h(t)= -16(t- 7/2)^2+ 196[/itex].

Niaboc67 said:
I know the formula is f(b)-f(a)/b-a but not sure how to go about it
Use parentheses!
What you wrote is the same as ##f(b) - \frac{f(a)}{b} - a##.

If you write a fraction such as the one above in single-line text, it has to be written as (f(b) - f(a))/(b - a).

Related to Rate of Change for Ball Thrown: How to Use the Formula f(b)-f(a)/b-a

1. What is the rate of change of a ball thrown?

The rate of change of a ball thrown is the speed at which the ball is traveling through the air. This can be calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time.

2. How does the rate of change of a ball thrown affect its trajectory?

The rate of change of a ball thrown affects its trajectory by determining the amount of time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point and the distance it travels during that time. A higher rate of change (faster speed) will result in a longer and higher trajectory, while a lower rate of change (slower speed) will result in a shorter and lower trajectory.

3. Does the mass of the ball affect its rate of change when thrown?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect its rate of change when thrown. A heavier ball will require more force to accelerate, resulting in a slower rate of change compared to a lighter ball.

4. How does air resistance impact the rate of change of a ball thrown?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the rate of change of a ball thrown by creating a force that acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion. This force increases as the speed of the ball increases, so it can have a significant impact on the rate of change for faster thrown balls.

5. What factors can affect the rate of change of a ball thrown?

Some factors that can affect the rate of change of a ball thrown include the initial force or speed of the throw, the mass and size of the ball, air resistance, and gravity. The angle at which the ball is thrown can also impact the rate of change and trajectory.