Rate Law Problem: Finding the Rate Law from Reaction Data

• Thread starter jools111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Rate
In summary: So the first column should be [I-] mol/L. In summary, the conversation discusses a lab dealing with ionic concentration and rate of reaction. The data collected shows that when the concentration of [I] and [S2O8] doubles, the reaction time is cut in half. The proposed rate law is r = k [I] [S2O8], but there is some confusion about the constant concentration of [I] and varying concentration of [S2O8] leading to longer reaction times. The correct answer is that the rate is first order in both reagents. The data may have been typed incorrectly, with the first column representing [I-] mol/L instead of [I] mol/L.
jools111
I am working on a lab that deals with ionic concentration and rate of reaction. The data is as follows:

Mixture----- mol/L-----[S2O8] mol/L------Time s

1-----------0.10---------0.050-------------20
2-----------0.075--------0.050-------------28
3-----------0.050--------0.050-------------41
4-----------0.025--------0.050-------------84
5-----------0.10---------0.038-------------25
6-----------0.10---------0.025-------------39
7-----------0.10---------0.013-------------82

The question asks me to write the rate law for the reaction. I know from the data that when the concentration of doubles, the reaction time gets cut in half. The same is true for the persulphate. So I am thinking that the rate law would be:

r = k [S2O8]

Something doesn't sit well with this answer though. When the persulphate is being varies and the iodide remains constant, the reactions take longer, even though they are proportionately rougly the same. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something must have messed up when you typed this in, because your reasoning is spot on, but the answers as given are wrong. Whatever the first column of concentration data was supposed to represent didn't get displayed properly.

The answer is that the rate is first order in both reagents, which is what I think you tried to type in the first place. As for the something that doesn't sit well, I'm afraid I don't quite understand what the concern is.

A few years late, perhaps, but I think the OP should have typed [I-], but typed [I ] (only without the space), which is wrong chemically, and also is the code for italics.

Related to Rate Law Problem: Finding the Rate Law from Reaction Data

1. What is a rate law?

A rate law is an equation that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. It gives information about how the rate of a reaction changes as the concentrations of the reactants change.

2. How do you determine the rate law from reaction data?

The rate law can be determined by using the method of initial rates. This involves conducting a series of experiments where the concentrations of the reactants are varied while keeping all other factors constant. The initial rates of the reactions are then compared to determine how the rate changes with the concentration of each reactant.

3. What is the difference between the rate constant and the rate of a reaction?

The rate constant is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of a reaction to the concentrations of the reactants. It is specific to a particular reaction at a given temperature. The rate of a reaction, on the other hand, is the change in concentration of a reactant or product per unit time. It is dependent on the rate constant and the concentrations of the reactants.

4. How do you determine the order of a reaction from the rate law?

The order of a reaction can be determined from the rate law by looking at the exponents of the concentrations of the reactants. The sum of these exponents is equal to the overall order of the reaction. For example, if the rate law is Rate = k[A]2[B], the reaction is second order overall (2+1=3).

5. Can the rate law change with temperature?

Yes, the rate law can change with temperature. This is because the rate constant, which is a factor in the rate law, is dependent on temperature. As temperature increases, the rate constant also increases, leading to a different rate law. Additionally, the rate of a reaction is affected by temperature, so the overall rate law may change as well.