Rate law expression with solids and liquids

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorporation of solids and liquids into rate law expressions. It is explained that for equilibrium reactions, the presence of solids is enough as their concentrations are assumed to be constant. However, for kinetics, the reaction rate depends on the surface area of the solid. This concept is not typically addressed in introductory chemistry courses and further resources on surface chemistry or heterogeneous catalysis may provide more information.
yolo123
Hello Forum!

I was wondering:

In the rate law expressions, I could never find an example with a solid or a liquid in the reactants in my textbook (Chemistry by Zumdahl). I searched Chemistry (Raymond Chang) and Principles of Molecular Chemistry, without any success.

What happens to solids and liquids who act as reactants in reactions? How do I incorporate them into the rate law? Are they ALWAYS already included in the k constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solids and liquids are not incorporated into the K constant because their concentrations are assumed to be constant (which is a pretty good approximation; as you consume either a solid or a liquid, you decrease the total amount but do not generally affect their concentrations).

k (kinetics) or K (equilibrium)?

For equilibrium presence of the solid is enough - no matter how much of the solid there is, the result (in terms of the final equilibrium position) is always the same.

For kinetics it is much more complicated, as reaction rate depends on the surface area of the solid. But I have never seen it addressed in the introductory courses.

Oops, true, I should have specified that I meant equilibrium Ks only. As Borek says, Ks for kinetics differ.

Not to mention, the rate law also depends on the reaction mechanism. So, it is impossible to guess on your own unless provided with some incentive.

I meant k as in the rate law: for example, rate=k[NO2]^2.

"For kinetics it is much more complicated, as reaction rate depends on the surface area of the solid. But I have never seen it addressed in the introductory courses."
Hi, it's three years too late but I'm hoping someone could elaborate on the complicated concept here. How do you include the order of the reaction of solid in the reaction rate expression? This is the only post on the internet where someone has hinted that there is an answer to this question. If you can't answer, it will still be helpful if you can point me to some resources as I have no idea what the answer to this is and I am tasked to find one. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

(This is for both interest and homework.)​

In general, the reaction rate will depend on the surface area of the solid exposed to reactants. How the surface area changes over time will depend on the exact geometry of the material. Likely you would be able to find more information by searching for textbooks on surface chemistry or heterogeneous catalysis.

Likes baldbrain

Related to Rate law expression with solids and liquids

What is a rate law expression?

A rate law expression is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the rate of a chemical reaction and the concentrations of reactants. It is often written in the form of Rate = k[A]^m[B]^n, where k is the rate constant and m and n are the reaction orders for the reactants A and B, respectively.

How does the presence of solids and liquids affect the rate law expression?

In most cases, the concentration of solids and liquids does not have a significant effect on the rate of a chemical reaction. Therefore, they are usually not included in the rate law expression. However, if a solid or liquid is a reactant, its concentration may be included in the rate law expression.

What is the role of the rate constant in the rate law expression?

The rate constant, represented by the symbol k, is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the concentrations of reactants. It is specific to a particular reaction and is determined experimentally at a given temperature.

Can the rate law expression be determined experimentally?

Yes, the rate law can be determined experimentally by measuring the rate of the reaction at different concentrations of reactants and then using the data to determine the reaction orders and rate constant. This can be done through methods such as the initial rate method or the method of initial rates.

What is the significance of the reaction orders in the rate law expression?

The reaction orders, represented by the symbols m and n, indicate the effect of the concentration of each reactant on the rate of the reaction. They can be determined experimentally and can be used to predict how a change in the concentration of a reactant will affect the rate of the reaction.