Ranking Electric Potential of Electrons in a E Field

In summary, when an electron moves from point A to point B in a uniform electric field, the potential energy of the electron increases when moving against the electric field (from A to B), resulting in a decrease in electric potential. Conversely, when moving with the electric field (from B to A), the potential energy of the electron decreases, resulting in an increase in electric potential. This is because electric potential is defined independently of a test charge, so moving in the direction of the electric field will always lead to lower values of electric potential, while moving against the electric field will lead to higher values of electric potential.
Dgray101

Homework Statement

Note this is a PRACTICE midterm problem. Not due for homework or for a grade. My exam is on Tuesday

"an electron moves from point A to point B in a uniform electric field as show below. Rank the electrons in diagrams 1 through 2 by the changes in potential from greatest to least when traveling from A to B"

I can't attach an image but it's VERY straight forward.

Answer A Answer B

--------------------> (Direction of E field) --------------->(Direction of Efield)

Point A Point B Point B Point A

The distances are the same. Just swapped.

Homework Equations

V = U/q

The Attempt at a Solution

My reasoning was (A then B) because in the first diagram, we must do work against the electric field, increasing the potential energy of the electron, therefor increasing the electric potential. The converse is true for part B, we move in the direction of the force and so the potential energy of the electron decreases, and so should the electric potential. I am messing up the concept somewhere along the road because the answer is actually B then A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have answered the question but I need validity. The reason that the potential from B is more then the potential at A is because Electric Potential is defined independent of a test charge. So as you go with the electric field, regardless of the charge, you go to lower values of electric potential. If you go opposite the electric field, you go to values of HIGHER electric potential regardless of the charge.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Yes, you're reasoning (in post #2) is correct. It's important to remember that electric potential and electric potential energy are not the same thing.

The way I think of it is to remember that E-fields point away from positive and toward negative charge, and the potential is higher around a positive charge and lower around a negative charge. Your reasoning in post #1, if applied to a positive (test) charge, is also a good way to think of it.

Related to Ranking Electric Potential of Electrons in a E Field

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of energy that an electric charge possesses in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

3. How do electrons rank in electric potential?

Electrons rank in electric potential based on their distance from the source of the electric field and the magnitude of the charge they possess. The closer an electron is to the source and the larger its charge, the higher its electric potential will be.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. How does the direction of an electric field affect the ranking of electric potential for electrons?

The direction of an electric field does not affect the ranking of electric potential for electrons. The ranking is solely based on the distance from the source and the magnitude of the charge.