Rankine Cycle Thermal Output Calculation for 1000 MWe

In summary, the question asks for the equations needed to determine reactor thermal output for a plant producing 1000 MWe, with all expressions for work and heat transfer rate in terms of mass flow rate ratios. The equation for efficiency (Wnet/Qh) is given, along with the turbine and pump efficiencies and the assumption that the enthalpy at each state point has been found. The OP suggests determining mass flow rate by dividing 1000 MWe by Wnet and plugging that value into the equation for Qh. However, posting only a part of the question is not an effective way to seek help.
UnknownAnsem

Homework Statement

The last part of my question reads:

Give the equations you would use to determine reactor thermal output if the plant is to produce 1000 MWe. All expressions for work and heat transfer rate should be expressed in terms of the appropriate mass flow rate ratios.

Homework Equations

Efficiency = Wnet/Qh

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been given turbine efficiency and pump efficiency. Also, assume I have found the enthalpy at each state point and was subsequently able to determine the net work and heat addition to the system. I feel like I need to determine the mass flow rate by dividing 1000 MWe by Wnet and then plug that value into the equation for Qh to get thermal output.

Last edited:
UnknownAnsem said:

Homework Statement

The last part of my question reads:

Give the equations you would use to determine reactor thermal output if the plant is to produce 1000 MWe. All expressions for work and heat transfer rate should be expressed in terms of the appropriate mass flow rate ratios.

Homework Equations

Efficiency = Wnet/Qh

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been given turbine efficiency and pump efficiency. Also, assume I have found the enthalpy at each state point and was subsequently able to determine the net work and heat addition to the system. I feel like I need to determine the mass flow rate by dividing 1000 MWe by Wnet and then plug that value into the equation for Qh to get thermal output.

In general, posting only a part of a question is not a good way to attract users interested in providing help. The OP is in possession of all the facts, yet, for whatever reason, he has only provided a few bits of information with which to work. No one wants to play Twenty (or Forty) Questions; there's other things to do.

Related to Rankine Cycle Thermal Output Calculation for 1000 MWe

What is a Rankine Cycle Analysis?

A Rankine Cycle Analysis is a thermodynamic process used to model and analyze the performance of steam power plants. It involves calculating the energy transfer, work output, and efficiency of a system that uses water or steam as its working fluid.

What are the key components of a Rankine Cycle?

The key components of a Rankine Cycle include a boiler, a turbine, a condenser, and a pump. These components work together to produce mechanical work by utilizing the properties of water or steam.

What is the purpose of a Rankine Cycle Analysis?

The purpose of a Rankine Cycle Analysis is to determine the efficiency and performance of a steam power plant. It helps engineers and scientists optimize the design and operation of the system to maximize energy output and minimize costs.

What are the advantages of using a Rankine Cycle?

The main advantages of using a Rankine Cycle include its simplicity and reliability. It is a well-established and widely used process in power generation, and it can easily be adapted to different types of fuels and power plant configurations.

What are some common challenges in performing a Rankine Cycle Analysis?

Some common challenges in performing a Rankine Cycle Analysis include accurately measuring and controlling the properties of the working fluid, accounting for heat and pressure losses in the system, and considering the effects of different operating conditions on the overall performance.