Normal ordering for bosons vs fermions

In summary, when normal ordering the terms in the Hamiltonian for bosons, the commutation rules are ignored because they only result in a shift in the energy eigenvalues. However, when normal ordering fermion operators, the anti-commutation rules are used because they result in a change in the physics rather than just a shift in energy. This is supported by the paper referenced, which explains the reasoning behind ignoring the commutation rules for bosons in the harmonic oscillator potential. Further investigation is needed to understand the difference in treatment for fermions.
planetology
Why is it that when normal ordering the terms in the Hamiltonian for bosons, the commutation rules are ignored, but when normal ordering fermion operators the anti-commutation rules are used to justify a change in sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember thinking about this a few years ago, and I seem to remember the answer was in the fact that the negative sign canceled with another negative sign, giving the appearance that we ignore the rule.

Here is an easy-to-read document that will be of some assistance:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/physics/0212061

I will get back to this later with a more definitive post.

Originally posted by Tom

Here is an easy-to-read document that will be of some assistance:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/physics/0212061

I will get back to this later with a more definitive post.

Thanks, that paper is a really good one. I have not gotten all the way through it yet so don't know if it answers the main question, but very useful in any case.

OK, I re-read the paper, and it only states the reason for ignoring the commutation rules for the harmonic oscillator potential. The reason is that the only effect is to shift the energy eigenvalues by (1/2)hf. In other words, the physics is unchanged (because only energy differences are measurable).

So, I think that gives us a lead for why we don't ignore it for fermions: something more happens than a mere shift in the energies.

That would be the next thing to look into, I think.

What is normal ordering for bosons and fermions?

Normal ordering is a mathematical operation that rearranges the creation and annihilation operators of bosons and fermions in a specific order in order to obtain the correct expectation value of a quantum mechanical operator.

What is the difference between normal ordering for bosons and fermions?

The main difference between normal ordering for bosons and fermions is the commutation and anti-commutation rules that govern their creation and annihilation operators. In bosonic systems, the operators commute, while in fermionic systems, they anti-commute. This results in different normal ordering procedures for the two types of particles.

Why is normal ordering important in quantum mechanics?

Normal ordering is important because it allows us to correctly calculate the expectation values of operators in quantum mechanical systems. It also helps us to properly account for the symmetries and anti-symmetries of bosonic and fermionic systems.

How is normal ordering performed?

Normal ordering is performed by rearranging the creation and annihilation operators according to their commutation or anti-commutation rules. For bosonic systems, the operators are rearranged in a specific order, while for fermionic systems, the operators are rearranged in pairs with a minus sign in between.

Are there any applications of normal ordering in physics?

Yes, normal ordering is used in many areas of physics, including quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the development of quantum algorithms and in the study of quantum information and computation.