I need a book about relativity.(what would you advice)

• Thread starter string_theory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects in the universe behave, particularly at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. It is important because it revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity and has practical applications in various fields. There are many books available to learn more about relativity, and even though it can be challenging to understand, it has practical applications and can provide a deeper understanding of the universe.
string_theory
I need a book about special theory of relativity. Could you please advice me any.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd recommend 'An Introduction to Special Relativity' by Wolfgang Rindler and published by Oxford University Press.

It can be found on amazon here:

thank you

thank you very much for your reply...

Pricinple of Relativity by Einstein,Lorentz,Weyl,and Miwoski.

1. What exactly is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects in the universe behave, particularly at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. It includes two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. Why is relativity important?

Relativity is important because it revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is used in many areas of physics, including astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. It also has practical applications, such as in GPS technology.

3. How can I learn more about relativity?

There are many books available on relativity, ranging from popular science books to textbooks. Some recommended titles include "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It is important to choose a book that matches your level of understanding and interests.

4. Is relativity difficult to understand?

Relativity can be a challenging topic, but it is possible to gain a basic understanding of the concepts without advanced mathematics. It may take some time and effort, but with perseverance and a good resource, anyone can learn about relativity.

5. How can I apply the principles of relativity to my daily life?

Relativity may seem like a purely theoretical concept, but its principles have practical applications. For example, GPS technology would not be possible without the principles of relativity. Additionally, understanding relativity can also help with understanding concepts like time dilation and the behavior of light. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the universe and our place in it.