Fluid Dynamics/Air flow

In summary, the problem involves calculating the pressure drop in a constriction in the bronchus when a person inhales at a flow speed of 10.4 cm/s. Using Bernoulli's equation and assuming incompressible flow, the pressure drop is determined to be 0.020929 Pa. However, this answer may need to be adjusted for precision or for the specific desired value (e.g. change in pressure instead of pressure drop). Further clarification may be needed to ensure accuracy.
JamesL
We are studying fluid dynamics in class right now...

Here is a problem that came up on my homework that I am not sure how to solve:

When a person inhales, air moves down the bronchus(windpipe) at 10.4 cm/s. The average flow speed of the air doubles through a constriction in the bronchus. Use (density of air) = 1.29 kg/m^3. Assuming an incompressible flow, determine the pressure drop in the constriction. Answer in units of Pa.
---------------------------------
When i first looked at the problem i took "The average flow speed of the air doubles through a constriction" to mean that it goes from 10.4 cm/s to 20.8 cm/s.

Then i just plugged the values into Bernoulli's equation and then plugged the following into my calculator:

x + (1/2)(1.29)(.104) = (x-y) + (1/2)(1.29)(.208)... only solving for y, which would be the pressure drop. i got .020929 Pa as my answer, and this is not correct.

So, unless i made some mistake in the above equations, i assume that "The average flow speed of the air doubles through a constriction" means something else... but I am not sure where to start.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aside from too much precision in your answer, it looks right to me (you missed the squares typing it in, but you didn't in your calculations).

How do you know it's not correct? If it's entered into a computer, it may not like the 5 sig figs, or it may be looking for the change in pressure, and not the pressure drop (switch negative sign). It's possible I'm missing something too, but I don't think I am...

Last edited:

First of all, great job on attempting to solve the problem using Bernoulli's equation! However, there are a few things to consider in order to arrive at the correct answer.

Firstly, the statement "The average flow speed of the air doubles through a constriction" means that the velocity of the air increases from 10.4 cm/s to 20.8 cm/s at the constriction. This does not necessarily mean that the average flow speed doubles, as the velocity profile of the air may not be uniform throughout the cross-section of the bronchus.

Secondly, it is important to note that Bernoulli's equation is only applicable for incompressible flows, which means that the density of the fluid should remain constant throughout the flow. However, in this case, the air is being compressed as it passes through the constriction. Therefore, we cannot use Bernoulli's equation directly.

To solve this problem, we can use the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid is constant throughout a pipe or tube. This can be written as:

ρ1A1V1 = ρ2A2V2

Where ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area, and V is the velocity at two different points in the flow (subscript 1 for initial conditions and subscript 2 for final conditions).

In this case, we can use the continuity equation to relate the velocities at the two different points in the bronchus. We can also assume that the density of air remains constant at 1.29 kg/m^3.

Therefore, we have:

(1.29 kg/m^3)(A1)(10.4 cm/s) = (1.29 kg/m^3)(A2)(20.8 cm/s)

We can also relate the cross-sectional areas using the fact that the cross-sectional area is inversely proportional to the square of the velocity (A1V1 = A2V2).

Substituting this relationship into the continuity equation, we get:

(1.29 kg/m^3)(10.4 cm/s)(V1^2) = (1.29 kg/m^3)(20.8 cm/s)(V2^2)

Simplifying, we get:

V1^2 = 2V2^2

Therefore, the velocity at the constriction (V2) is equal to the square root of half

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with their surroundings. It involves understanding the motion of fluids, the forces that act on them, and how they can be manipulated to achieve desired outcomes. Examples of fluid dynamics include the flow of air around an airplane wing and the movement of water in a river.

2. How does air flow affect objects?

Air flow can have a significant impact on the behavior and performance of objects. For example, the shape and size of an object can affect the way air flows around it, resulting in changes in drag, lift, and other aerodynamic forces. These forces can impact the stability, speed, and energy efficiency of the object, making air flow an important consideration in various fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation.

3. What factors influence air flow?

Several factors can influence air flow, including the shape and size of the object, the speed of the air, and the properties of the fluid itself. For instance, a streamlined shape can reduce drag and improve air flow, while a rough surface can create turbulence and increase drag. The density, viscosity, and temperature of the fluid can also affect its flow characteristics.

4. How is air flow measured and analyzed?

Air flow can be measured and analyzed using various techniques, such as wind tunnels, pressure sensors, and computational fluid dynamics simulations. These methods allow scientists to study the behavior of air flow and make predictions about how it will interact with objects. Advanced technologies, such as laser Doppler anemometry and particle image velocimetry, can provide precise measurements of air flow velocity and direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has numerous practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, weather forecasting, and sports. For example, understanding air flow is crucial in designing efficient and safe aircraft, predicting the path of hurricanes, and optimizing the performance of athletes in sports like cycling and swimming. Fluid dynamics also plays a role in everyday activities, such as cooking, driving, and using household appliances like vacuum cleaners.