What is the relationship between random walks and destinations?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
Circ()print(avg.length(10))In summary, the expected number of steps until reaching the square boundary with sides length 2, starting from the origin and taking one unit steps in either the x or y direction at random, is 4.5. Additionally, for the oval with equation ((x-2.5)/30)^2 + ((y-2.5)/40)^2 < 1, it is estimated that it would take an average of 14 steps to exit the oval, based on a simulation using a random walk algorithm.
member 428835
Homework Statement
a) Beginning at the origin and taking one unit steps in either the ##x## or ##y## direction at random, what is the expected number of steps until you reach the square boundary with sides length 2?

b) How about until you reach the line ##y=1-x## from the origin?
Relevant Equations
Nothing comes to mind.
a) Let ##N_i## be the expected number of jumps to get to one of the square sides from minimal step number ##i## from the origin (so (1,1) would be ##i=2## since it takes 2 steps minimally to get there). Then we have:
##N_0 = 1+N_1##
##N_1 = 1 + 0.25N_0 + 0.5N_2 + 0.25##
##N_2 = 1 + 0.5N_1 + 0.5##
where ##i## denotes ##i## steps from the origin. This implies ##N_0 = 5.5##.

b) This one seems tougher. However, after I drew a picture, it seems every down or left movement is a step away from the line and every up or right movement is a step toward the line, so kind of 1D? Also, the line ##y=1-x \implies y+x=1##. Thus, if we say ##z=y+x## then we are looking for ##z=1##. So we can think of this problem as a 1D number line, we start at point 0 and randomly walk left or right 1 distance and then repeat. Let ##X## be the number of steps to get from 0 to 1. Then we have ##X = 0.5 + 0.5(1 + 2X) \implies X = X + 1##, which is only true when ##X \to \infty##. Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Homework Statement:: a) Beginning at the origin and taking one unit steps in either the ##x## or ##y## direction at random, what is the expected number of steps until you reach the square boundary with sides length 2?

Relevant Equations:: Nothing comes to mind.

a) Let ##N_i## be the expected number of jumps to get to one of the square sides from minimal step number ##i## from the origin (so (1,1) would be ##i=2## since it takes 2 steps minimally to get there). Then we have:
##N_0 = 1+N_1##
##N_1 = 1 + 0.25N_0 + 0.5N_2 + 0.25##
##N_2 = 1 + 0.5N_1 + 0.5##
where ##i## denotes ##i## steps from the origin. This implies ##N_0 = 5.5##.
That isn't correct. In the equation ##N_2 = 1 + 0.5N_1 + 0.5##, what deos the ##1## represent?
joshmccraney said:
b) This one seems tougher. However, after I drew a picture, it seems every down or left movement is a step away from the line and every up or right movement is a step toward the line, so kind of 1D? Also, the line ##y=1-x \implies y+x=1##. Thus, if we say ##z=y+x## then we are looking for ##z=1##. So we can think of this problem as a 1D number line, we start at point 0 and randomly walk left or right 1 distance and then repeat. Let ##X## be the number of steps to get from 0 to 1. Then we have ##X = 0.5 + 0.5(1 + 2X) \implies X = X + 1##, which is only true when ##X \to \infty##. Am I missing something here?
You have an infinite sequence of states in this case.

Likes member 428835
PeroK said:
That isn't correct. In the equation ##N_2 = 1 + 0.5N_1 + 0.5##, what deos the ##1## represent?

You have an infinite sequence of states in this case.
Shoot, good call. So the system would actually be:
##N_0 = 1+N_1##
##N_1 =0.25(1+N_0) + 0.5(1+N_2) + 0.25##
##N_2 = 0.5(N_1 +1)+ 0.5##
which implies ##N_0=4.5##.

And so the second one really is infinite?

joshmccraney said:
Shoot, good call. So the system would actually be:
##N_0 = 1+N_1##
##N_1 =0.25(1+N_0) + 0.5(1+N_2) + 0.25##
##N_2 = 0.5(N_1 +1)+ 0.5##
which implies ##N_0=4.5##.
That looks better.

joshmccraney said:
And so the second one really is infinite?
No, it just means you have an infinite recurrence relation to solve!

Likes member 428835
PeroK said:
That looks better.No, it just means you have an infinite recurrence relation to solve!
So what's the answer then? EDIT: not trying to come off cold here, I'm genuinely not sure how to answer this. Feel I've done the correct legwork, but am unsure how to finalize it.

Also, you're a python guy right? How does this script look for estimating the average number of steps to exit the oval ##( (x - 2.5) / 30 )^2 + ( (y - 2.5) / 40 )^2 < 1## taking 10 step intervals (I'm getting 14):
Python:
import random

class mathCirc:
    def length(self, n):
        res = 0
        for i in range(n):
            walk = 0
            x = y = 0

while ( (x - 2.5) / 30 )**2 + ( (y - 2.5) / 40 )**2 < 1:
                P = random.random()
                walk += 1

# UP
                if P < 0.25:
                    y += 10

# DOWN
                elif 0.25 < P < 0.5:
                    y -= 10

# RIGHT
                elif 0.5 < P < 0.75:
                    x += 10

# LEFT
                elif P > 0.75:
                    x -= 10

res += walk

return res/nif __name__ == "__main__":
    n = 100000
    ob1 = mathCirc()
    print(ob1.length(n))

joshmccraney said:
I'm genuinely not sure how to answer this. Feel I've done the correct legwork, but am unsure how to finalize it.
It's the same technique but with an infinite recurrence relation. You need to write down the relationship between ##N_k## and ##N_{k-1}## and ##N_{k+1}##.

PeroK said:
It's the same technique but with an infinite recurrence relation. You need to write down the relationship between ##N_k## and ##N_{k-1}## and ##N_{k+1}##.
##N_k = 0.5N_{k-1}+0.5N_{k+1}##, right?

joshmccraney said:
##N_k = 0.5N_{k-1}+0.5N_{k+1}##, right?
Don't forget the ##+1##.

Likes member 428835
PeroK said:
Don't forget the ##+1##.
Shoot, it's late here. I'm making mistakes right and left. So how do we actually voice this to someone? Like, in english if they ask how long we expect it to take to arrive at the point ##z=1##?

joshmccraney said:
Then we have ##X = 0.5 + 0.5(1 + 2X) \implies X = X + 1##, which is only true when ##X \to \infty##. Am I missing something here?
Actually, I've just understood what you did here. That looks like a neat shortcut to show that ##X## cannot be finite.

Likes member 428835
PeroK said:
Actually, I've just understood what you did here. That looks like a neat shortcut to show that ##X## cannot be finite.
Thanks, all the studying lately might finally be paying off. You've been a massive help! But how do we word this? Do we say we expect infinite steps, or simply that no solution exists?

Can you comment on my python script? It looks right to me, but I don't know for sure.

I should clarify this is all self study, so not actually HW.

joshmccraney said:
Thanks, all the studying lately might finally be paying off. You've been a massive help! But how do we word this? Do we say we expect infinite steps, or simply that no solution exists?
You just say that the expected number of steps is infinite. Or, more formally, that the distribution of the number of steps has no mean.
joshmccraney said:
Can you comment on my python script? It looks right to me, but I don't know for sure.
I don't have time at the moment. Sorry.

Likes member 428835
"square boundary with sides length 2".
I presume you mean side length 4, the square with corners ##(\pm 2, \pm 2)##.
joshmccraney said:
comment on my python script?
Not sure why you are randomising instead of applying the same iterative process you used for the first part. At a rough calculation, there are less than 50 landing points inside the ellipse.

haruspex said:
"square boundary with sides length 2".
I presume you mean side length 4, the square with corners ##(\pm 2, \pm 2)##.

Not sure why you are randomising instead of applying the same iterative process you used for the first part. At a rough calculation, there are less than 50 landing points inside the ellipse.
Thanks, I did mean length 4.

I'm randomizing because we can walk up, down, left, or right with equal probability. Notice this technique would work with higher dimensional walks too, like in a sphere, so it's pretty general.

joshmccraney said:
I'm randomizing because we can walk up, down, left, or right with equal probability.
Sure, but you did not involve actual random trials in your solution to part a). You could use the same approach for the ellipse.

haruspex said:
Sure, but you did not involve actual random trials in your solution to part a). You could use the same approach for the ellipse.
Okay, yes I see what you mean. Though the ellipse is not centered at the origin, so it would be pretty tedious. Much easier to program the solution, right?

joshmccraney said:
Okay, yes I see what you mean. Though the ellipse is not centered at the origin, so it would be pretty tedious. Much easier to program the solution, right?
Oh, yes, I would still do it in software, just not using randomness.

haruspex said:
Oh, yes, I would still do it in software, just not using randomness.
Can you share your code? I feel this monte-carlo approach is just so easy.

joshmccraney said:
I have not written it, but it does not seem that hard.
Might try later.

joshmccraney said:
So what's the answer then? EDIT: not trying to come off cold here, I'm genuinely not sure how to answer this. Feel I've done the correct legwork, but am unsure how to finalize it.

Also, you're a python guy right? How does this script look for estimating the average number of steps to exit the oval ##( (x - 2.5) / 30 )^2 + ( (y - 2.5) / 40 )^2 < 1## taking 10 step intervals (I'm getting 14):
Python:
import random

class mathCirc:
    def length(self, n):
        res = 0
        for i in range(n):
            walk = 0
            x = y = 0

while ( (x - 2.5) / 30 )**2 + ( (y - 2.5) / 40 )**2 < 1:
                P = random.random()
                walk += 1

# UP
                if P < 0.25:
                    y += 10

# DOWN
                elif 0.25 < P < 0.5:
                    y -= 10

# RIGHT
                elif 0.5 < P < 0.75:
                    x += 10

# LEFT
                elif P > 0.75:
                    x -= 10

res += walk

return res/nif __name__ == "__main__":
    n = 100000
    ob1 = mathCirc()
    print(ob1.length(n))
You're script looks okay. There's an art to debugging/checking code. In this case, you could print each step, then run it a few times with ##n = 1## to check the walk and the exit criteria are as you expect. Then comment out the unnecessary print commands once you are satisfied.

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
Homework Statement:: a) Beginning at the origin and taking one unit steps in either the ##x## or ##y## direction at random, what is the expected number of steps until you reach the square boundary with sides length 2?
It always takes exactly 1 step to reach the boundary.
joshmccraney said:
Your reduction to the 1-dimensional case looks correct. Was the 1-dimensional case covered in class?

Prof B said:

Your reduction to the 1-dimensional case looks correct. Was the 1-dimensional case covered in class?
There is no class. These are random problems I find on the internet. I have an interview book I read from: when I'm stumped, I google, which typically takes me to Stack. Usually beneath solutions are other similar questions. You can see how this adds up, curiously trying every one I read.

Prof B said:
See post #14.

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
One problem with Monte Carlo is figuring out how accurate your answer is.
The nonrandom way is to write the matrix equation relating the expectations, then either solve it or iterate until it converges.

Iterating in a spreadsheet converged to this
0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
0.00 0.00 4.04 4.10 0.00 0.00 0.00
0.00 5.20 8.08 8.37 6.40 4.05 0.00
5.91 8.74 10.71 10.90 9.19 5.81 0.00
6.01 9.13 11.12 11.34 9.65 5.99 0.00
0.00 6.65 9.33 9.70 8.10 4.52 0.00
0.00 4.13 5.87 6.02 4.53 0.00 0.00

Last edited:
joshmccraney said:
There is no class. These are random problems I find on the internet. I have an interview book I read from: when I'm stumped, I google, which typically takes me to Stack. Usually beneath solutions are other similar questions. You can see how this adds up, curiously trying every one I read.
1-dimensional random walks are pretty cool. It's good that you were able to figure out what you needed, but you might want to know more. PDF from MIT discrete math ocw.

Prof B said:
Josh wants the expected time to reach a point (x,y) where max(|x|,|y|)=2. It's not 5.5. You calculated the expected time to reach a point such that |x|+|y|=2. Since those points include (1,1), for example, it's not the same thing.
Which post are you referring to and who is "you" here?
In post #3, Josh got the answer 4.5, which looks right to me.

• Skeptical
Likes chwala
haruspex said:
One problem with Monte Carlo is figuring out how accurate your answer is.
The nonrandom way is to write the matrix equation relating the expectations, then either solve it or iterate until it converges.

Iterating in a spreadsheet converged to this
0.00 0.00 4.04 4.10 0.00 0.00 0.00
0.00 5.20 8.08 8.37 6.40 4.05 0.00
5.91 8.74 10.71 10.90 9.19 5.81 0.00
6.01 9.13 11.12 11.34 9.65 5.99 0.00
0.00 6.65 9.33 9.70 8.10 4.52 0.00
0.00 4.13 5.87 6.02 4.53 0.00 0.00
Out of interest, I considered the continuous version with a circular boundary and the peak in the middle. This is equivalent to solving a circularly symmetric 2D ##\Delta\phi+c^2=0## with ##\phi=0## at radius R. I got a parabolic dome, and the graph through the centre of the above table indeed looks like a skewed form of that.

haruspex said:
Which post are you referring to and who is "you" here?
In post #3, Josh got the answer 4.5, which looks right to me.
OK. I misunderstood.

haruspex said:
Out of interest, I considered the continuous version with a circular boundary and the peak in the middle. This is equivalent to solving a circularly symmetric 2D ##\Delta\phi+c^2=0## with ##\phi=0## at radius R. I got a parabolic dome, and the graph through the centre of the above table indeed looks like a skewed form of that.
Can you elaborate on the derivation of ##\Delta\phi+c^2=0##. I'm curious

joshmccraney said:
Can you elaborate on the derivation of ##\Delta\phi+c^2=0##. I'm curious
##\Delta\phi=0## says that at each point the potential is the average of the surrounding points. But in the random walk you have the +1 for the move to reach a neighbouring point, so the 'potential' is some constant more than the local average.

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical model that describes the path of a randomly moving object. It involves a sequence of steps taken in a random direction, with each step being independent of the previous ones.

2. How is a random walk useful in science?

Random walks are useful in science because they can model a wide range of natural phenomena, such as the movement of particles in a gas, the spread of diseases, and the behavior of financial markets. They also provide a way to study and understand complex systems.

3. What are some real-life applications of random walks?

Random walks have numerous real-life applications, including in physics, biology, finance, and computer science. For example, they can be used to simulate the behavior of molecules in a liquid, the movement of animals in their natural habitats, the fluctuations of stock prices, and the search algorithms used by search engines.

4. How do destinations affect random walks?

Destinations can have a significant impact on the behavior of random walks. In some cases, a destination may attract the walker, causing them to move towards it. In other cases, a destination may repel the walker, causing them to avoid it. Destinations can also act as barriers, preventing the walker from moving in certain directions.

5. Can random walks be used to predict future events?

Random walks are not suitable for predicting future events, as they are based on random movements and do not take into account any external factors or information. However, they can be used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems, which may help in making informed decisions and predictions.