Two Degree of freedom Damped free vibration

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the force and velocity of a primary and secondary suspension with given information on the damping and spring constants. The goal is to solve a two degree of freedom mechanical translational problem and determine the force and velocity input into the damper for a 1 inch stroke.
sbeck
I am trying to calculate the force and velocity of a primary and secondary suspension. I know the damping constant of the dampers and the spring constant of the springs. I see where an expression can be calculated where you input time and get x.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I don't understand.

What exactly is your question?

I am trying to solve a two degree of freedom mechanical translational problem. The system has two masses and a spring and damper arrangement uder each mass. I was given the spring constant, damping constant, and mass. I want to dtemine the force and velocity into the damper if it is allowed to stroke 1 inch.

1. What is meant by "two degree of freedom damped free vibration"?

Two degree of freedom damped free vibration refers to a type of vibration in which a mechanical system with two degrees of freedom (two independent modes of motion) is subject to damping, or the dissipation of energy, without any external forces acting on it.

2. How is the damping coefficient calculated in a two degree of freedom damped free vibration system?

The damping coefficient in a two degree of freedom damped free vibration system is typically calculated using the logarithmic decrement method. This involves measuring the amplitude of the system's vibrations at two different points in time and using a formula to determine the damping ratio, which is then used to calculate the damping coefficient.

3. What is the significance of the natural frequencies in a two degree of freedom damped free vibration system?

The natural frequencies in a two degree of freedom damped free vibration system represent the frequencies at which the system will vibrate with the greatest amplitude in the absence of damping. These frequencies are determined by the system's mass, stiffness, and damping coefficients, and can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of the system.

4. How does damping affect the behavior of a two degree of freedom damped free vibration system?

Damping in a two degree of freedom damped free vibration system reduces the amplitude of the vibrations over time, eventually causing the system to reach a state of equilibrium and stop vibrating. It also affects the natural frequencies of the system, with higher damping resulting in lower natural frequencies and thus a slower rate of vibration.

5. What are some real-world applications of two degree of freedom damped free vibration systems?

Two degree of freedom damped free vibration systems have numerous applications in engineering and science, including in mechanical systems such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles. They are also used in the study of earthquakes and structural dynamics, as well as in the design of musical instruments and shock absorbers.