The String Theory-and im new

• Thread starter ninja nemesi$
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses String Theory and its concept of particles being made up of tiny vibrating strings. The conversation also touches on the prejudice against young people being interested in astrophysics and the potential of supersymmetry being discovered in the next few years. The speaker also mentions the complexity and beauty of the Standard Model of particle physics.
ninja nemesi$
hi-im new here...im 15, from london, and i like physics...lots! lol

String Theory
i found this site that has a whole load of info about it, and even 3 one hour clips explaining it and the theory behind it-

apparently, all particles are made up of little strings that vibrate, and that's how energy is made...these strings are so small, that in comparison to an atom, they would be the size of a tree, where the atom would be the size of the universe...!

here's the site-

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

sorry if this has already been discussed...im still new-and 15-lol

Physics news on Phys.org
lol----i don't particularly see myself as a geek of any sort, but usually when i tell people that I am 15 and I am into astrophysics...lol-u know hehe

thanx for the link :smile:

Blah, the prejudices we're subjected to.

What's the difference between being 15 and wanting to be an astronaut and being 15 and being into astrophysics? One of 'em actually knows what he's doing!

cookiemonster

ninja nemesi$ said:
...apparently, all particles are made up of little strings that vibrate, and that's how energy is made...these strings are so small, that in comparison to an atom, they would be the size of a tree, where the atom would be the size of the universe...!
QUOTE]

Unfortunately, there are no testable predictions of string theory, so it is premature to say that particles are actually strings. (On the other hand, supersymmetry, which is a major player in our untested theories, *may* be discovered in the next 3-5 years.) Anyway, string theory has a great depth and richness like a forest with a hidden finely tuned and interconnected ecological system...the problem is we get lost in the forest a lot. There is enough beauty and strange things going on in the theories we *have* tested and which therefore *do* describe fundamental ways in which the universe works... like the Standard Model of particle physics (which by the way, only takes on its full beauty when you learn the framework of quantum fields, unfortunately!). Speaking from far down the road: the journey to get to these things is well worth the effort.
cheers.

can someone explain supersymmetry to me please?

garytse86: Please create a new thread in the Strings forum for this topic. :smile:

- Warren

1. What is the String Theory?

The String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that the building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings.

2. How does the String Theory differ from other theories?

The String Theory differs from other theories, such as the Standard Model, because it attempts to unify all known fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces) into one theory. It also suggests that the universe has more than the traditional four dimensions (three spatial and one time), but rather 10 or 11 dimensions.

3. Is the String Theory proven?

No, the String Theory is still a highly debated and unproven theory. It has yet to be experimentally tested and there is currently no way to confirm its validity. However, it has gained significant support and has led to new discoveries in the field of physics.

4. What are the implications of the String Theory?

If the String Theory is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies. It could also help bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity, which are currently two incompatible theories.

5. Can anyone understand the String Theory?

The String Theory is a complex and advanced theory, so it can be challenging for non-scientists to fully grasp. However, with some effort and study, anyone can gain a basic understanding of its principles and implications. It is also important to note that the String Theory is constantly evolving and even scientists are still working to fully understand it.