Random Variables: Proving Same Probability Distribution & Finding $X+Y$

In summary, we have three random variables $X, Y, Z$ defined on a sample space $\Omega = \{\omega_1, \omega_2, \omega_3\}$ with equal probabilities of $\frac{1}{3}$. Despite taking on different values, their probability distributions are the same. When we add the values of $X$ and $Y$, we get a new random variable with a probability distribution that may surprise us.
Julio1
Let $\Omega=\{\omega_1,\omega_2,\omega_3\}$ an sample space, $P(\omega_1)=P(\omega_2)=P(\omega_3)=\dfrac{1}{3},$ and define $X,Y$ and $Z$ random variables, such that

$X(\omega_1)=1, X(\omega_2)=2, X(\omega_3)=3$

$Y(\omega_1)=2, Y(\omega_2)=3, Y(\omega_3)=1$

$Z(\omega_1)=3, Z(\omega_2)=1, Z(\omega_3)=2.$

Show that these three random variables have the same probability distribution. Find the probability distribution of $X+Y.$

Hi !, my name is Julio. I'm from Chile, my english isn't good, sorry, but try to do the best I can. Some indication for the problem?, thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Julio said:
Let $\Omega=\{\omega_1,\omega_2,\omega_3\}$ an sample space, $P(\omega_1)=P(\omega_2)=P(\omega_3)=\dfrac{1}{3},$ and define $X,Y$ and $Z$ random variables, such that

$X(\omega_1)=1, X(\omega_2)=2, X(\omega_3)=3$

$Y(\omega_1)=2, Y(\omega_2)=3, Y(\omega_3)=1$

$Z(\omega_1)=3, Z(\omega_2)=1, Z(\omega_3)=2.$

Show that these three random variables have the same probability distribution. Find the probability distribution of $X+Y.$

Hi !, my name is Julio. I'm from Chile, my english isn't good, sorry, but try to do the best I can. Some indication for the problem?, thanks!

Hi Julio! Welcome to MHB! :)

Hint: What is the probability distribution of X?
That is, what is the probability that X=1, X=2, respectively X=3?

Thanks I Like Sirena.

The probability distribution of an random variable $X$ is $P(X=x)=p(x)$ if $X$ is discrete, and $P(X=x)=f(x)$ if $X$ is continuous.

But really don't understand how solve the problem, help me please ! :confused:

Julio said:
Thanks I Like Sirena.

The probability distribution of an random variable is $P(X=x)=p(x)$ if $X$ is discrete, and $P(X=x)=f(x)$ if $X$ is continuous.

But really don't understand how solve the problem, help me please ! :confused:

So the question is what is $P(X=1)$?
Since $P(\omega_1)=\frac 1 3$ and $X(\omega_1)=1$, it follows that $P(X=1) = \frac 1 3$.
Similarly $P(X=2)=P(X=3)=\frac 1 3$.

How about Y? Does it have the same distribution?

OK, thanks!

The query is how know that $\omega_1=1$?, I don't is notation used.

Last edited:
Julio said:
OK, thanks!

The query is how know that $\omega_1=1$?, I don't is notation used.

You don't.
What you do know, is that $\omega_1$ is a possible outcome with probability $1/3$.
And furthermore, if the outcome is $\omega_1$, that $X = 1$.

Thanks, then

$P(Y=1)=P(Y=2)=P(Y=3)=P(\omega_n)=\dfrac{1}{3}.$

Truth?

Then, the random variables have the same probability distribution because all are equal $\dfrac{1}{3}$?

Julio said:
Thanks, then

$P(Y=1)=P(Y=2)=P(Y=3)=P(\omega_n)=\dfrac{1}{3}.$

Truth?

Then, the random variables have the same probability distribution because all are equal $\dfrac{1}{3}$?

Yep! ;)

One question, what I find strange is that these random variables take these different values​​, and in the end, your probabilities give the same result. :confused:

Julio said:
One question, what I find strange is that these random variables take these different values​​, and in the end, your probabilities give the same result. :confused:

Ah. But we still have the second part of the question, which sort of addresses that.

I like Serena said:
Ah. But we still have the second part of the question, which sort of addresses that.

Oh truth !, I had forgotten. Good, I think that is only add. Namely,

$X(\omega_1)+X(\omega_2)+X(\omega_3)=1+2+3=6,$

$Y(\omega_1)+Y(\omega_2)+Y(\omega_3)=2+3+1=6.$

Thus, $(X+Y)(\omega_n)=6+6=12.$

Okay?

Julio said:
Oh truth !, I had forgotten. Good, I think that is only add. Namely,

$X(\omega_1)+X(\omega_2)+X(\omega_3)=1+2+3=6,$

$Y(\omega_1)+Y(\omega_2)+Y(\omega_3)=2+3+1=6.$

Thus, $(X+Y)(\omega_n)=6+6=12.$

Okay?

I'm afraid not.
The first possible outcome is $\omega_1$ with probability $\frac 1 3$.
With $X(\omega_1)=1$ and $Y(\omega_1)=2$, that means that $X+Y=1+2=3$.
So $P(X+Y=3) = \frac 1 3$.

The interesting part is that even though X and Y have the same probability distribution, we get to be surprised by the probability distribution of the sum X+Y.

Related to Random Variables: Proving Same Probability Distribution & Finding $X+Y$

1. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical quantity that takes on different values based on the outcome of a random event. It is often represented by the letter X and can be discrete (having a countable number of possible values) or continuous (having an infinite number of possible values).

2. How do you prove that two random variables have the same probability distribution?

To prove that two random variables have the same probability distribution, you need to show that they have the same probability mass function (for discrete variables) or probability density function (for continuous variables). This can be done by comparing the equations for both variables and showing that they are equivalent.

3. What does it mean for two random variables to have the same probability distribution?

When two random variables have the same probability distribution, it means that they have an equal chance of taking on any given value. This means that they have the same likelihood of occurring in a random event, making their probability distributions identical.

4. Can you give an example of proving two random variables have the same probability distribution?

Yes, for example, if X represents the number of heads when flipping a coin twice and Y represents the sum of the values when rolling two dice, we can show that both X and Y have the same probability distribution. This can be done by comparing the probability mass function for X (binomial distribution) and the probability mass function for Y (discrete uniform distribution) and showing that they are equivalent.

5. How do you find the probability distribution of X+Y when X and Y have the same probability distribution?

In order to find the probability distribution of X+Y, you can use the convolution formula, which states that the probability distribution of the sum of two independent random variables is equal to the convolution of their individual probability distributions. This can be calculated by summing the products of the individual probabilities of X and Y for each possible value of X+Y.