Random Variable Transformation

In summary: M_ {2\theta} = \prod_{i=1}^{n} M_{2\theta X_i}(t) = \prod_{i=1}^{n} M_{2\theta}(t) = n$$Thus, we have found that the d.f. of the 2θΣx(i=1 to n) distribution is n.
SupLem
We have a r.v. X with p.d.f. = sqrt(θ/πx)*exp(-xθ) , x>0 and θ a positive parameter.
We are required to show that 2 θX has a x^2 distribution with 1 d.f. and deduce that, if x_1,……,x_n are independent r.v. with this p.d.f., then 2θ∑_(i=1)^n▒x_ι has a chi-squared distribution with n degrees of freedom.
Using transformation (y=2θΧ) I found the pdf of y=1/sqrt (2π) *y^(-1/2)*e^(-y/2). How do I find the distribution of 2θ∑_(i=1)^n▒x_ι ? Do I need to find the likelihood function (which contains ∑_(i=1)^n▒x_ι ) first ? How do I recognise the d.f. of this distribution (Is it n because it involves x_1,……,x_n,i.e. n r.v.?

(since i couldn't get the graphics right above, I am also adding a screenshot of my word document in order to view). Thanks!View attachment 3491

Attachments

• Capture_8_Nov.JPG
    Capture_8_Nov.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
As you've found for the pdf $f_Y$ of the r.v $Y=2\theta X$:
$$f_Y(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} y^{-\frac{1}{2}} e^{-\frac{y}{2}}$$
which is indeed the pdf of the $\chi^2$-distribution with 1 degree of freedom. Next, we have given that $X_1,\ldots,X_n$ are independen r.v's with the same pdf as $X$.

First note that $2\theta X_i$ for $i=1,\ldots,n$ has the same distribution as $Y$, in other words to solve the question you have to find the distribution of $n$ independent r.v's $X_i$ with $X_i \sim \chi^2(1)$.

Do you need to solve this with the transformation theorem? Because using the moment-generating function would lead easily to a solution (because of the independency).

Thank you very much for your response. Could you, please, elaborate, on how using the moment generating function would help us in this respect ( i.e. finding the 2θΣx(i=1 to n) distribution?

SupLem said:
Thank you very much for your response. Could you, please, elaborate, on how using the moment generating function would help us in this respect ( i.e. finding the 2θΣx(i=1 to n) distribution?

It satisfies to use the moment generating function as it determines the distribution completely.

Denote the moment generating function of $2\theta X_i \sim \chi^2(1)$ as $M_{2\theta X_i}(t)$ which is known for $i=1,\ldots,n$. Due to the independency we have
$$M_ {2\theta \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i}(t) = \prod_{i=1}^{n} M_{2\theta X_i}(t)$$

I would like to provide a response to the content regarding random variable transformation and the derivation of the distribution of 2θ∑_(i=1)^n▒x_ι.

Firstly, we are given a random variable X with a probability density function (p.d.f.) of sqrt(θ/πx)*exp(-xθ), where x>0 and θ is a positive parameter. We are required to show that 2θX has a chi-squared distribution with 1 degree of freedom. In order to do this, we can use the transformation method.

We define a new random variable, Y=2θX, and substitute it into the given p.d.f. for X. This gives us the p.d.f. for Y as 1/sqrt(2π)*y^(-1/2)*exp(-y/2). This is the p.d.f. of a chi-squared distribution with 1 degree of freedom, as can be seen by comparing it to the general form of a chi-squared distribution: f(y)=1/(2^(n/2)*Γ(n/2))*y^(n/2-1)*exp(-y/2).

Next, we can use the same approach to derive the distribution of 2θ∑_(i=1)^n▒x_ι, where x_1,……,x_n are independent random variables with the same p.d.f. as X. Again, we define a new random variable, Y=2θ∑_(i=1)^n▒x_ι, and substitute it into the p.d.f. for X. This gives us the p.d.f. for Y as 1/sqrt(2π)*y^(-1/2)*exp(-y/2). This is the p.d.f. of a chi-squared distribution with n degrees of freedom, as can be seen by comparing it to the general form of a chi-squared distribution with n degrees of freedom: f(y)=1/(2^(n/2)*Γ(n/2))*y^(n/2-1)*exp(-y/2).

In order to recognize the degrees of freedom of this distribution, we need to consider the number of independent random variables involved in the sum. In this case, there are n random variables (x_1,……,x_n), so the resulting distribution has n

Related to Random Variable Transformation

What is a random variable transformation?

A random variable transformation is a mathematical operation that is applied to a random variable in order to create a new random variable. It is used to change the distribution of the random variable and is often used in statistics and data analysis.

Why is random variable transformation important?

Random variable transformation is important because it allows us to manipulate and analyze data in a more meaningful way. By transforming a random variable, we can often simplify the data and make it easier to interpret and analyze. It also allows us to use different statistical methods and tests that may only be applicable to certain types of distributions.

What types of random variable transformations are there?

There are several types of random variable transformations, including logarithmic, exponential, square root, and power transformations. Each type of transformation is used for a specific purpose and can be applied depending on the data and the desired outcome.

How do I choose the right transformation for my data?

Choosing the right transformation for your data depends on the specific characteristics of your data and the goal of your analysis. Some transformations may be more suitable for skewed data, while others may be better for normalizing the data. It is important to carefully consider the data and consult with a statistician to determine the most appropriate transformation.

What are the potential pitfalls of random variable transformation?

One potential pitfall of random variable transformation is over-transformation, where the transformation may change the data too drastically and lead to incorrect or misleading results. It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the chosen transformation and how it may affect the interpretation of the data. Additionally, the interpretation of the transformed data may not always be intuitive, so careful consideration and explanation is necessary.