Random variable, expected value,Variance

In summary, we discussed the concept of expected value and variance in relation to a randomly chosen word, blue. The random variable x was defined as the length of the word, with a mean of 4 and a variance of 0. The expected value was calculated to be 10, and the variance was found to be 36. Further clarification was given on the relationship between mean and expected value, and the significance of zero variance in this scenario.
philipSun
Hi.
I choose randomly a one word, and I decided to choose a word blue. Let random variable x be a length of the word blue. What is expected value and variance of a word blue?

So, random variable x = 4.

E(X) = Ʃ xi fX(xi)
i:xi∈S

x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 = 10.

expected value = 10.

Variance is

Var(X) = E[X − E(X)]^2

Var(X) = E[10 − E(4)]^2 = 6^2 = 36

Variance = 36

Physics news on Phys.org
I do a little improvement.

E(X) = Ʃ xi f(x)p(x)
i:p(x)∈S

x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 = 10.

expected value = 10. Is this correct?Variance is

Var(X) = E[X − E(X)]^2Var(X) = E[10 − E(4)]^2 = 6^2 = 36Variance = 36. Is this correct?

The problem as described has a mean of 4 (blue has 4 letters) and a variance of 0 (blue has 4 letters - no variation).

Can you formalize those solutions?

I don't understand.
Do you mean that expected value is 4 ? Mean = expected value?

And because blue has 4 letters - no variation. so variance is

Var(X) = E[4 − E(4)]^2 = 0 ??

Mean = expected value (almost by definition - since mean may be defined as sample mean or true mean - the expected value).

Var(X) = 0, as you described.

Related to Random variable, expected value,Variance

1. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical variable that can take on various values based on the outcome of a random event. It is often denoted by the letter X and can be discrete or continuous.

2. What is the expected value of a random variable?

The expected value of a random variable is the theoretical average of all possible outcomes. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and summing them together.

3. How is the expected value useful in statistics?

The expected value helps us understand the central tendency of a random variable and make predictions about future outcomes. It is also used in decision-making processes and risk analysis.

4. What is variance?

Variance is a measure of how spread out the values of a random variable are from the expected value. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each value and the expected value.

5. How does variance relate to the expected value?

Variance is closely related to the expected value as it provides additional information about the distribution of a random variable. A higher variance indicates a wider spread of values, while a lower variance indicates a more concentrated distribution around the expected value.