Random number with which distribution

In summary, the person is seeking help to find a clean and academically acceptable solution for selecting between 1 to n items with each preceding item having a higher probability than the next. They also need a parameter to adjust the probability of the first item. Currently, they use a normal distribution with a mean of 1 and different sigmas, but this method is not suitable for an academic paper. They are looking for a specific distribution with a few parameters that can control the slope and force the range of 0-7 (or 1-8) for generated numbers. They have not yet received an answer for their question.
wmac
Hello,

I am trying to find a clean solution for this (i.e. straightforward and academically acceptable). I appreciate if someone can help me.

1- I need to select between selections 1 to n (in my case 1-8 ). However each preceding item should have higher probability than the next one. For example, first item should have higher probability than the 2nd and the 2nd should have higher than the 3rd one etc.

I also need a parameter which enables me to adjust the probability of the first item. (i.e. the slope of the curve and therefore the distribution of probability)

Capture.JPG

What distribution with what parameters I should use.

2- Currently I use a normal distribution with mean value of 1 and different sigmas. When generating random numbers (float) I ignore numbers lower than 1 and then round up numbers higher than that to my discrete choices (i.e. 1-8 ).

Describing this in an academic paper is unacceptable I guess. So I am looking for a proper clean method (ideally a specific distribution with a few parameters).

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not received any answer for this question.

I need to know whether this means there is no specific distribution for my purpose?

-----
BTW I have previously tried to do this with Poisson distribution but there are 2 problems:

- How can I control the slope (considering that I should use lambda=1). I mean I want to be able to control, how quickly the probability drops from one item to the next.

- In addition, how can I force the range of 0-7 (or 1-8 ) to the generated numbers?

Thanks

Related to Random number with which distribution

What is a random number with uniform distribution?

A random number with uniform distribution is a number that has an equal probability of occurring within a given range. This means that all numbers within the range have an equal chance of being chosen.

How is a random number with normal distribution generated?

A random number with normal distribution is generated using a mathematical formula called the Normal Distribution Equation. This equation uses the mean and standard deviation to generate numbers that follow a bell-shaped curve.

What is the difference between a random number with uniform distribution and normal distribution?

The main difference between these two distributions is the shape of the curve. A random number with uniform distribution has a flat, rectangular curve, while a normal distribution has a bell-shaped curve. Additionally, the probability of getting a specific number is equal in a uniform distribution, while it varies in a normal distribution.

Can a random number have multiple distributions?

Yes, it is possible for a random number to have multiple distributions. This can occur when the number is generated from a combination of different distributions or when the distribution changes based on certain conditions.

How are random numbers with specific distributions used in scientific research?

Random numbers with specific distributions are commonly used in scientific research to simulate real-world scenarios and to generate data for statistical analysis. They are also used in computer simulations and modeling to predict outcomes and test hypotheses.