Raising to half power = PRINCIPAL square root?

In summary, in real analysis, the principal square root of a positive number is defined as the positive root. However, in complex analysis, there are two approaches - either taking a multivalues approach or a principal logarithm and exponent. In the complex numbers, there is no way to unambiguously distinguish a particular root, making it more complicated.
perishingtardi
This may seem like a very elementary question...but here goes anyway.

When a positive number is raised to the power 1/2, I have always assumed that this is defined as the PRINCIPAL (positive) square root, e.g. [tex]7^{1/2} = \sqrt{7},[/tex]. That is, it does not include both the positive and negative square rootsL [tex]7^{1/2} \neq -\sqrt{7} = -7^{1/2}.[/tex]

In complex analysis, however, this doesn't seem to be the case? E.g. we write [tex](-1)^{1/2} = \pm i.[/tex]

Have I understood these conventions correctly? I have also been thinking about a similar situation: how in real analysis we think of every positive number as having a single natural logarithm, e.g. [tex]\ln 2 = 0.693\dotsc,[/tex] when in fact there are actually infinitely many:
[tex]\ln 2 = 0.693\dotsc + 2\pi n i \qquad (n=0,\pm1,\pm2,\dots).[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In real analysis, you are right to take the principal square root.

In complex analysis, things are a bit more complicated. You have two options here: either you take a multivalues approach where complex exponentiation and logarithms yield not one value but several ones. The other approach is still to take a principal logarithm and a principal exponent. I think the latter approach is more popular in introductory complex analysis texts.

See this too: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637214

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
The difficulty is that, in the complex numbers, there is no way to unambiguously distinguish a particular root. In the real numbers we can show that, any positive number has, for n even, two nth roots, one positive and the other negative. So we can define the nth principle root to be the positive root. But the complex numbers do not form an ordered field so there is no way to distinguish the roots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Raising to half power = PRINCIPAL square root?

1. What does it mean to raise a number to half power?

Raising a number to half power means to find the square root of that number. It is equivalent to raising the number to the power of 1/2.

2. How is raising to half power different from raising to a whole number power?

Raising to a whole number power means multiplying the number by itself a certain number of times. For example, 2 raised to the power of 3 is 2 x 2 x 2 = 8. Raising to half power is finding the square root of the number, which is essentially finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, equals the original number.

3. What is the relationship between raising to half power and finding the principal square root?

Raising to half power and finding the principal square root are two ways of expressing the same mathematical concept. The principal square root of a number is the positive square root, and raising a number to half power is the same as finding the principal square root of that number.

4. How do you calculate the principal square root of a number?

The principal square root of a number is calculated by finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, equals the original number. This can be done using a calculator or by using a long division method called the "guess and check" method.

5. What are the practical applications of raising to half power and finding the principal square root?

Raising to half power and finding the principal square root are important concepts in mathematics and have many practical applications. For example, they are used in calculating interest rates, determining the length of sides in geometric shapes, and in various scientific calculations. They are also used in computer programming and data encryption.