Raising the Window Washer: A Trickier Problem Than It Looks

• Thread starter SnowOwl18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, the question is about a window washer using a bucket-pulley apparatus to pull herself upward at a constant speed. The advice given on the forum was to pull with the weight of herself plus the bucket, which was calculated to be 604.7 N. However, the program says this is wrong and gives a hint that there are two upward forces acting on the girl. Another forum member suggests multiplying the weight by 2, but this also leads to an incorrect answer. The conversation ends with the person admitting confusion and thanking the others for trying to help.
SnowOwl18
Ok, I tried this and even found on this forum that someone asked the same question before, but I tried their advice and the answer was still wrong. The problem is that :
---- A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus ...How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? The mass of the person plus the bucket is 61.7kg.----

The advice given on this forum was that since she is moving at a constant speed, the acceleration is zero...so she just needs to pull her (plus the bucket's) weight. I calculated this (W=mg) and got 604.7 N, but the program says I'm wrong. And then it gave a hint : This problem is trickier than it looks. There are two upward forces acting on the girl. One is exerted by the rope on the top of the basket. The other is exerted by the rope on her hands.

So does anyone have any advice on what to do? Much thanks :eek:)

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe make it 2N? multiply n times 2... if the rope goes half way around the pulley, its 2N, at least that's what my program says... try that?

o like 604.7 times 2? I just tried that and it says it's wrong

hrm, maybe I am doing the wrong one then, sheesh, I am gettin so confused lately... sorry i couldn't be of more help

lol np, thanks for trying tho! :)

Related to Raising the Window Washer: A Trickier Problem Than It Looks

1. How does raising the window washer pose a tricky problem?

Raising the window washer may seem like a simple task, but it can actually be quite complex. This is because the weight of the washer and the angle of the rope can create unexpected forces that must be carefully managed to ensure the safety of the worker and the proper functioning of the equipment.

2. What factors should be considered when raising a window washer?

There are several factors that must be taken into account when raising a window washer. These include the weight of the washer, the length and angle of the rope, the strength and stability of the building, and any potential hazards or obstacles in the way.

3. How can these factors be managed to ensure safety?

To ensure safety when raising a window washer, it is important to carefully calculate the weight of the washer and choose a rope with appropriate strength and length. The angle of the rope should also be carefully adjusted to distribute the weight evenly. It is also important to inspect the building and surrounding area for any potential hazards and take necessary precautions.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for raising window washers?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by organizations such as OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) that outline safety measures and procedures for raising window washers. These regulations should be followed to ensure the safety of the worker and those around them.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when raising a window washer?

Some common mistakes to avoid when raising a window washer include using a rope that is too weak or too short, not properly securing the rope or washer, and not taking into account the weight and angle of the washer. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain equipment to ensure safe operation.