Raising operator for s in |s,m> states

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for collective spin operators that can raise or lower the quantum number s in spin states, specifically for constructing coherent states. The speaker mentions a similar coherent-like state that could potentially meet their needs, but they have not been able to find a reference for it. They also mention an unpublished Word document that may provide some insights, but it is not as credible as a published source. The other participant in the conversation mentions that the document has indeed been published in the International Journal of Theoretical Physics.
lfqm
Are there any known (collective spin) operators to raise or lower the quantum number s in [tex]\left|{s,m}\right>[/tex] spin states?

I'm trying to construct coherent states varying the quantum number s instead of the well known spin coherent states varying m.

I found a coherent-like state similar to the one I'm looking for:
[tex]\left|{\psi}\right>= \displaystyle\sum_{j\geq{\left |{m}\right |}}^{N/2} Y(j) \left|{j,m}\right> [/tex]
where Y(j) has to do with the number of young tableaux associated with j and N is the number of spin 1/2 particles we are considering. But I haven't been able to find a reference about it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an interesting question. Googling gave this unpublished Word document, dealing with this question for orbital angular momentum. I've not checked it, but unpublished Word documents are quite suspicious usually. Perhaps it helps you to start your own research, anyway:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.5146

vanhees71 said:
That's an interesting question. Googling gave this unpublished Word document, dealing with this question for orbital angular momentum. I've not checked it, but unpublished Word documents are quite suspicious usually. Perhaps it helps you to start your own research, anyway:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.5146
This has been published in the International Journal of Theoretical Physics.

Great! In addition to be more credible, it's far better readable than this awful (typographically wise, I mean) Word document :-)).

Related to Raising operator for s in |s,m> states

1. What is a raising operator for s in |s,m> states?

A raising operator for s in |s,m> states is a mathematical operator that acts on a quantum state |s,m> to increase the value of the spin quantum number, s, by one unit. It is commonly denoted as S+ and is used in the study of quantum mechanics and angular momentum.

2. How does a raising operator for s in |s,m> states work?

A raising operator for s in |s,m> states works by changing the state of a quantum system from |s,m> to |s,m+1>. This operator essentially "raises" the spin quantum number, s, by one unit.

3. What are the properties of a raising operator for s in |s,m> states?

A raising operator for s in |s,m> states has several important properties. It is Hermitian, meaning its adjoint is equal to itself. It also commutes with the lowering operator, S-, and satisfies the commutation relation [S+, S-] = Sz. Additionally, it has an eigenvalue of s+1 and is used to determine the eigenstates of the total spin operator.

4. How is a raising operator for s in |s,m> states related to quantum spin?

A raising operator for s in |s,m> states is an important tool in the study of quantum spin. It allows for the manipulation and determination of spin states, which play a crucial role in many quantum systems. Raising operators for s in |s,m> states are also used in the study of angular momentum and the properties of particles with spin.

5. What are some applications of raising operators for s in |s,m> states?

Raising operators for s in |s,m> states have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They are used to study and manipulate quantum systems, such as electron spin in magnetic materials. They are also used in the development of quantum computers and in the study of fundamental particles and their properties.