Raising Air Temp in Living Room: Calculations Needed

• Thread starter pin2win1313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, to raise the temperature of the air in a 3m x 5m x 8m living room by 10.0 degrees C, a 1500-W heater plugged into a 120-V outlet would take approximately 2.7 hours. The formula for calculating the heat gained by the air is (mass) x (specific heat) x (change in temperature). The specific heat of air is 1006 J/kg and the density of air is 1.20 kg/m^3. Using the given values of current (I=12.5 A) and resistance (R=9.6 ohms), the energy required to raise the room temperature can be calculated.
pin2win1313
A 1500-W heater is designed to be plugged into a 120-V outlet.

How long does it take to raise the temperature of the air in a good-sized living room (3m x 5m x 8m) by 10.0 degrees C. Note that the specific heat of air is 1006 J/kg and the density of air is 1.20 kg/m^3.

I=12.5 A
R=9.6 ohms

I found I and R but don't know the equation to solve this last part

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for calculating the heat gained by the air?

(mass) x (specific heat) x (chang in temp)?

How much energy does it take to raise the room temperature? You need to answer that question.

Related to Raising Air Temp in Living Room: Calculations Needed

1. How do I calculate the amount of heat needed to raise the air temperature in my living room?

The amount of heat needed to raise the air temperature in a room can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat needed, m is the mass of the air in the room, c is the specific heat capacity of air, and ΔT is the desired change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of air?

The specific heat capacity of air is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of air by one degree Celsius. It is typically around 1.005 kJ/kg·K.

3. How do I determine the mass of air in my living room?

The mass of air in a room can be calculated by multiplying the volume of the room by the density of air. The density of air is approximately 1.2 kg/m³ at room temperature and sea level.

4. What factors affect the air temperature in a living room?

The air temperature in a living room can be affected by various factors such as the outdoor temperature, the type and efficiency of heating and cooling systems, insulation of the room, and the number of occupants in the room.

5. How can I raise the air temperature in my living room without increasing my energy bill?

One way to raise the air temperature in a living room without increasing energy costs is to use natural methods such as opening windows on sunny days to let in warm air, closing curtains at night to trap heat, and using energy-efficient heating systems. Proper insulation, sealing air leaks, and using a programmable thermostat can also help to maintain a comfortable temperature in a living room without increasing energy expenses.