Rainbow Arc Fraction: Solve the Math Problem

In summary, the man standing on a mountain peak 2 km from the ground sees a fraction of approximately 0.586 of the arc of the rainbow, depending on the height of the sun and the observer's position. The rainbow is centered at an angle of 40°-42° from the observer's head and its shadow. Unless the sun is at a height greater than 42°, the rainbow will not be visible.
Skynt
1. A man stands on a mountain peak 2 km from the ground below, and observes a rainbow 8 km away. What fraction of the arc of the rainbow does the man see?

Homework Equations

I tried using a triangle to figure this out but I couldn't come any closer to the answer.
I know that the rainbow largely depends on the rain drop where red has a larger angle of deviation than violet allowing one to see red on top rather than on the bottom. Red is 42 degrees while violet is 40 degrees, etc. etc. The rest of the colors are in between more or less. Understanding this doesn't seem to help me figure it out :(

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea. The teacher gave us the answer, .586 , but that really doesn't help me understand the problem. Please help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Skynt! :smile:

Don't we need to know the height of the sun? :confused:

Well, this problem came from the book - and I agree, that came to my mind as well. The teacher said we didn't need it.

Well. unless I'm missing something, the teacher is wrong - see:

The position of a rainbow in the sky is always in the opposite direction of the Sun with respect to the observer, and the interior is always slightly brighter than the exterior. The bow is centred on the shadow of the observer's head, or more exactly at the antisolar point (which is below the horizon during the daytime), appearing at an angle of 40°–42° to the line between the observer's head and its shadow. As a result, if the Sun is higher than 42°, then the rainbow is below the horizon and cannot be seen as there are not usually sufficient raindrops between the horizon (that is: eye height) and the ground, to contribute. Exceptions occur when the observer is high above the ground, for example in an aeroplane (see above), on top of a mountain, or above a waterfall.

hmm … the question doesn't say "at a beautiful sunset", does it? :smile:

Related to Rainbow Arc Fraction: Solve the Math Problem

What is the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem?

The "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem is a puzzle that involves solving for the fraction of the circumference of a circle that is covered by each color in a rainbow. It is a fun and challenging way to practice basic math skills.

How do you solve the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem?

To solve the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem, you need to divide the circumference of the circle by the number of colors in the rainbow. This will give you the fraction of the circle that each color covers. For example, if there are 7 colors in the rainbow, the fraction would be 1/7.

What math skills are needed to solve the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem?

To solve the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem, you will need to have a basic understanding of fractions, division, and geometry. You should also be familiar with the concept of circumference and how to calculate it using the formula C = 2πr.

Are there any tricks or tips for solving the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem?

One trick for solving the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem is to visualize the rainbow as a pie chart. This can help you understand how the colors are distributed and make it easier to calculate the fraction for each color. You can also use a calculator to help with the division if needed.

Why is the "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem important?

The "Rainbow Arc Fraction" math problem is important because it helps to develop and reinforce essential math skills, such as fractions and division. It also promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important in many areas of science and everyday life.