Rain harvest system ( project)

In summary, a rain harvest system is a collection and storage system that captures and stores rainwater for future use. It is important because it helps to conserve water and reduce reliance on traditional water sources, and also reduces stormwater runoff. The system works by collecting rainwater from a surface and directing it into a storage tank. Benefits include reducing water bills and promoting sustainable living, but there may be initial installation costs and maintenance requirements.
suyoj1
Hey Guys!
I'm trying to design a portable rain harvest system for my capstone class. My project target is rural areas where people don'y have good water system. I'm thinking of making a system which collects a rain water and purifies it. Your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is the simplest design I can come up with:

raincollector.jpg

Inside it would act like a greenhouse, evaporating the water. The water would then condense on the inside of the plexiglass and run down the incline via gravity and drip into the clean water reservoir.

Related to Rain harvest system ( project)

1. What is a rain harvest system?

A rain harvest system is a collection and storage system that captures and stores rainwater for future use. It typically involves a collection area, such as a rooftop, and a storage tank or cistern to hold the collected water.

2. Why is a rain harvest system important?

A rain harvest system is important because it helps to conserve water and reduce reliance on traditional water sources. It also reduces stormwater runoff, which can help prevent flooding and erosion.

3. How does a rain harvest system work?

A rain harvest system collects rainwater from a surface, such as a roof, and directs it into a storage tank or cistern. This water can then be used for various purposes, such as watering plants, flushing toilets, or even for drinking with proper filtration.

4. What are the benefits of a rain harvest system?

Some benefits of a rain harvest system include reducing water bills, conserving water resources, and promoting sustainable living. It can also help to reduce erosion and flooding in urban areas.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a rain harvest system?

One potential drawback of a rain harvest system is the initial cost of installation. However, this can often be offset by long-term savings on water bills. Additionally, if not properly maintained, the system can become clogged and require repairs. It's important to regularly inspect and maintain the system to ensure optimal performance.