Ragdoll physics without 3rd party libraries

In summary, there are no specific resources available online on rag doll physics programming without 3rd party libraries. However, some resources that may be helpful include: 1) Mulley Bittarelli's "Final Projects" paper which covers rag doll physics algorithms and programming without third party libraries 2) Tom Lee's "Simulate Wearable Cloth and Ragdolls with Simple Verlet Integration" tutorial which covers rag doll physics algorithms and programming without third party libraries 3) Jakobsen's "Advanced Character Physics: Annotated" paper which covers rag doll physics algorithms and programming without third party libraries
Superposed_Cat
Hey all, are there any resources available online on rag doll physics programming without 3rd party libraries? the algorithms etc? Any help appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
What kind of project are you working on?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What kind of project are you working on?
Make a simulated robot learn to walk with genetic algorithms. I wanted to do it with neural networks but couldn't figure out what to make the inputs and outputs

Ones you have a simulator, i personally think that it's not a good idea to not use a third party library. You will loose a lot of time to build another (and another) body simulator. I think that you need to concentrate on the interesting part. For the input and output it depend on the library, you can use joint angle and body position and the neural net will give in output the joint momentum, or the joint angle speed to control the caracter.

Previously i try genetic algorithm for this kind of task and it doesn't work well because learning is very long. Walk can be learned by logic, automatic. You can automaticaly learn physics law with généric model regression like least square regression and then use it to search how to move using a tree to explore the configuration space.

kroni said:
Previously i try genetic algorithm for this kind of task and it doesn't work well because learning is very long. Walk can be learned by logic, automatic. You can automaticaly learn physics law with généric model regression like least square regression and then use it to search how to move using a tree to explore the configuration space.

Could you elaborate on the least squares technique for learning physics please?

Genetic algorithm and neural network are généric function interpolator and regression. To learn physics you can use mathématical tools that fit the observation and make a correlation with the input. So for a value of the input you can get a value for the output, the objective is to learn physical law (what is the consequence of an action). In a second step you can use this model to act on the environement. I know a publication about LWPR, a generic high dimension regression algorithm, and a paper about physics model learning.

Link are :
http://wcms.inf.ed.ac.uk/ipab/slmc/research/lwpr/lwpr-tutorial
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/svijayak/publications/vijayakumar-ICML2000.pdf

thanks, out of interest why do you type your 'e's like this? not complaining they are whimsical :P

kroni said:
é

Superposed_Cat said:
Hey all, are there any resources available online on rag doll physics programming without 3rd party libraries?
Why do you want to avoid 3rd party libraries? You're using a compiler. Why aren't you using machine language? What's the difference between a 3rd party library and a compiler?

There's a lot to be said for those 3rd party libraries. The underlying math can be very tricky. Properly modeling multi-body physics is trickier yet. The odds you'll get it right are slim to none. There are very good 3rd party libraries that are free, get it right, and are fast.

I use "é" because i am french and we also use e , é , é , ê , a , à , ç. It seem funny but it's not, it's an boring language.

lol

Related to Ragdoll physics without 3rd party libraries

1. What is Ragdoll Physics?

Ragdoll physics is a type of physics simulation that allows for realistic and natural movements of objects or characters in a virtual environment. It is commonly used in video games and other digital simulations.

2. How does Ragdoll Physics work without 3rd party libraries?

In order to implement Ragdoll Physics without 3rd party libraries, a programmer would need to create their own physics engine or use the built-in physics engine of the game engine they are using. This involves coding algorithms that calculate and simulate physical forces such as gravity, collisions, and joint constraints.

3. What are the benefits of using Ragdoll Physics without 3rd party libraries?

Using Ragdoll Physics without 3rd party libraries allows for more control and customization over the physics simulation. It also eliminates the need for additional dependencies and can improve performance since the physics calculations are done within the game engine.

4. Are there any limitations to using Ragdoll Physics without 3rd party libraries?

One limitation of using Ragdoll Physics without 3rd party libraries is that it may require more coding and technical expertise to implement compared to using a pre-made physics engine. It may also be more time-consuming and may not have as many advanced features as some 3rd party libraries.

5. Can Ragdoll Physics without 3rd party libraries be used in any game or simulation?

Yes, Ragdoll Physics without 3rd party libraries can be implemented in any game or simulation that has a physics engine. However, the complexity and level of realism may vary depending on the capabilities of the game engine and the skill of the programmer.