Radius of the sun and earth not flat

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the radius of the sun based on the known distances to the sun and moon and the moon's radius. The use of the hint provided may not be applicable. Another observation that led ancient astronomers to conclude that the Earth was not flat was the ability to see ships farther away from a higher vantage point. However, this is not a direct astronomical observation. A more relevant observation would be the measurement of the Earth's radius by the ancient Greeks.
quah13579

Homework Statement

1. (a) Given that the distances to the sun and the moon are approximately 150 million km and 400,000 km respectively. and that the radius of the moon is 1740 km , estimate the radius of the sun.[Hint:k=9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2, g=10ms^-2) ]

(b) Ancient astronomers knew that the Earth was not flat because it cast a circular shadow during a lunar eclipse. state another observation that led them to the same conclusion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what I've done is:
(a). s = m (150 million km / 400,000 km)
= 1740 km * 375 km
= 652,500 km

(b). Ships at sea can be seen farther away from a higher vantage point.

Am I right about those two question? For (a) how do I use hint to do this?
Thank you for any idea that help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi quah13579! :smile:

yes, your answer to (a) is fine (i assume you're using the fact that the moon is only just large enough to eclipse the sun :wink:)

i think the hint is wrong (or maybe it's the right hint to the wrong question) … it's presumably
intended to enable you to compare the centripetal acceleration with Newton's law of gravitation, but the radius of the sun (or moon) isn't relevant to that! :rolleyes:

your answer to (b) is true, but it's not really an astronomical observation, is it?

hint: how did the ancient greeks measure the Earth's radius? :wink:

Related to Radius of the sun and earth not flat

1. What is the radius of the sun?

The radius of the sun is approximately 696,340 kilometers.

2. How do we know that the sun is not flat?

Scientists have observed the sun through telescopes and other instruments, and have been able to measure its shape and size. Additionally, the laws of physics dictate that a massive object like the sun would naturally form into a spherical shape due to its own gravity.

3. What is the radius of the earth?

The radius of the earth is approximately 6,371 kilometers.

4. How do we know that the earth is not flat?

Similar to the sun, scientists have been able to measure the shape and size of the earth through various methods, such as satellite imagery and mathematical calculations. Additionally, evidence from phenomena like ship hulls disappearing over the horizon and the curved shadow during a lunar eclipse also support the spherical shape of the earth.

5. What does the shape of the sun and earth tell us about the universe?

The spherical shape of the sun and earth reflect the natural laws of the universe, specifically the force of gravity. This shape is also consistent with other celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond. It suggests that the universe is governed by consistent physical laws that apply to all matter and energy.