Radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl

In summary, the water wavefront moves until it reaches the other end from one end, and then reflects back.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

hi all, why the wave is reflected back form the centre when it is at the distance of 200mm? why the wave can't go beyond 200mm to reach 250mm from the side of bowl?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140707_105117[1].jpg
    IMG_20140707_105117[1].jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20140707_105021[1].jpg
    IMG_20140707_105021[1].jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you describe the shape of the wavefront just after tapping the side of the bowl? I'm not sure, but you might have a misconception about this. If in doubt, try it in the kitchen :smile:

What does the wavefront in the problem look like at t = 0.8 s?

TSny said:
Can you describe the shape of the wavefront just after tapping the side of the bowl? I'm not sure, but you might have a misconception about this. If in doubt, try it in the kitchen :smile:

What does the wavefront in the problem look like at t = 0.8 s?

the wavefront move until the another end from one end and reflect back.

desmond iking said:

So you're saying it would be like a line moving across the bowl and then back?

Yes. Is it wrong?

desmond iking said:
hi all, why the wave is reflected back form the centre when it is at the distance of 200mm? why the wave can't go beyond 200mm to reach 250mm from the side of bowl?
It does seem wrong to use the word "reflect" to describe the wave progressing through the centre of the bowl. There is no discontinuity in the medium there for a wave to "reflect" off.

There is no phase inversion, yet they imply it can be viewed as 100% "reflection"?

desmond iking said:

Did you do the experiment?

Here is what I observed. Picture A shows the water sitting still in the bowl before tapping the bowl.

B, C, and D show times just after tapping the bowl on the left with the handle of a knife.

Attachments

• Waves in Bowl.jpg
    Waves in Bowl.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 322
TSny said:
Did you do the experiment?

Here is what I observed. Picture A shows the water sitting still in the bowl before tapping the bowl.

B, C, and D show times just after tapping the bowl on the left with the handle of a knife.

sorry i can't understand your photo here. can i still say that the water the wavefront move until the another end from one end and reflect back. which means the water wave can move until 400mm from one end and then only reflect back? which is also (assuming the water wave is produced at the left ) means the water wave is at 150 mm form the right...

desmond iking said:
Nathanael said:
So you're saying it would be like a line moving across the bowl and then back?
Yes. Is it wrong?

As you can see from TSny's pictures, that is not what happens. (It is not a line; what shape is it?)

Circular waves spread out?

desmond iking said:
Circular waves spread out?
Perhaps you could write a few sentences in response to those trying to help you? By confining yourself to a single staccato phrase, you have misled some into thinking you can't conceive of circular wave propagation. Well. I think you have managed it, anyway ...

Maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. You have tried tapping on the side of a bowl of water?

Last edited:

Related to Radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl

What is the "Radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl"?

The "Radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl" is a measurement used to describe the distance from the center of a hemisphere bowl to the edge of a circular impulse wave propagating through it.

How is the radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl calculated?

The radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl is calculated by taking the square root of the product of the wave's wavelength and the depth of the hemisphere bowl.

What factors affect the radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl?

The radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl is affected by the wavelength of the wave, the depth of the hemisphere bowl, and the speed of the wave through the medium.

Why is the radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl important to study?

Understanding the radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl can help scientists better understand the behavior of waves in different mediums, which has applications in various fields such as oceanography, seismology, and acoustics.

Can the radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl be measured experimentally?

Yes, the radius of circular impulse wave in the hemisphere bowl can be measured experimentally by creating a wave in a hemisphere bowl and measuring the distance from the center to the edge of the wave using specialized equipment.