Radioactive decay, need to find half life

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the half-life of a radioactive material. The equation used for this problem is R=DN/Dt=(lambda)(N)=(N)(ln2/T1/2). However, the result of T(1/2) = 19.3 days was deemed incorrect by CAPA. After further discussion, it is suggested to solve the equation N=N0e^(-lambda*t) for lambda and then use this value to find the corresponding half-life. An estimate for the half-life is also given by considering the drop in activity after one, two, three, and four half-life times. The final conclusion is that the half-life should be close to 6.5 days.
PhysicsMan999

Homework Statement

1. The number of radioactive nuclei in a particular sample decreases over a period of 26 days to one-fifteenth of the original number. What is the half-life of the radioactive material, in days?

Homework Equations

R=DN/Dt=(lambda)(N)=(N)(ln2/T1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

DN= N - (1/15)N
DT=26 days
Plugged these in and solved for T(1/2), but CAPA says my answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsMan999 said:

Homework Statement

1. The number of radioactive nuclei in a particular sample decreases over a period of 26 days to one-fifteenth of the original number. What is the half-life of the radioactive material, in days?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

DN= N - (1/15)N
DT=26 days
Plugged these in and solved for T(1/2), but CAPA says my answer is wrong.
What did you get for half-life ?

19.3 days

Please explain what your variables represent.

Where did you get this equation?

R=rate of decay
DN= change in number of nuclei
DN=change in time
lambda=decay constant
N=number of nuclei
T1/2= half life
I got the equation from a slide my prof has for our lectures.

PhysicsMan999 said:
R=rate of decay
DN= change in number of nuclei
DN=change in time
lambda=decay constant
N=number of nuclei
T1/2= half life
I got the equation from a slide my prof has for our lectures.
Starting with the following (which is equivalent to ##\displaystyle\ N=N_0\,e^{-\ln(2)\,t/t_{1/2}}## )
##\displaystyle\ N=N_0\, e^{-\lambda t}\ ##, where N0 is the number of nuclei at time, t = 0 , (the start),​
and taking the derivative w.r.t. time, we get:
##\displaystyle\ \frac{dN}{dt}=-\lambda N_0e^{-\lambda t}\ =-\lambda N\ .##
Also, ##\displaystyle\ -\lambda N=-\ln(2)/t_{1/2}\ .##​
This is the decay rate, similar to yours, except for a sign. However, it's the instantaneous decay rate, not the same as ΔN/Δt .

By the way, 19.3 days is way off for the half-life. At that rate it would take 38.6 days (2 half-lives) to get to 1/4 the original number of nuclei.

Getting to 1/16 in 28 days would give a half-life of 7 days.

Okay, so I'm still not really sure how to solve it..plugging in the numbers just keeps on giving me 19.3..

PhysicsMan999 said:
Okay, so I'm still not really sure how to solve it..plugging in the numbers just keeps on giving me 19.3..
Solve ## \displaystyle\ N=N_0\, e^{-\lambda t}\ ## for λ , if t = 26, and N = N0/15 .

Then use your equation to find the corresponding half-life.

Dear PM,

In physics it's always good to make an estimate.
You know that after one half-life time, the activity (hence also the number of active nuclei) drops to one half the original number.
After two to one fourth
After three to one eighth
And after four to one sixteenth. So your answer should be close to 26 days / 4 = 6.5 days, and a bit lower.

From the above: Activity = $$A(t) = A(0) / 2^{\;(t/\tau_{1/2})}$$ or$$A(0)/A(t) = 2^{\;(t/\tau_{1/2})}$$ so what you want to solve is ## 2^{\;(26 {\rm \; days}/\tau_{1/2})} = 15## . That sound good ?

Related to Radioactive decay, need to find half life

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom spontaneously releases energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This process continues until the atom reaches a stable state, which is often a different element than the original atom.

2. How is the half-life of a radioactive substance determined?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is determined by measuring the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. This can be measured using various methods, such as counting the number of radioactive particles or measuring the decrease in radioactivity over time.

3. What factors can affect the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance can be affected by various factors, such as the type of atom, its energy state, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions can also impact the rate of decay.

4. Why is it important to know the half-life of a radioactive substance?

Knowing the half-life of a radioactive substance is important in various fields of science, such as nuclear physics, radiocarbon dating, and medical imaging. It allows scientists to accurately predict the rate of decay and understand the properties of different elements.

5. Can the half-life of a radioactive substance change over time?

No, the half-life of a radioactive substance is a constant value that does not change over time. It is a unique characteristic of each element and can only be altered by changing the nucleus of the atom through chemical or nuclear reactions.