Radioactive Dating Question, Half-Life.

In summary, when scientists date an object using Carbon-14, they assume that the living organism it came from had a constant ratio of C-14 to non-radioactive carbon. Once the organism dies, the ratio of C-14 to non-radioactive carbon begins to decrease, so by measuring the ratio of C-14 to other carbon, they can tell how long ago something died.
Wreak_Peace
I apologize for the simplicity of this question in relation to the others on this site.

But I've been curious, and haven't been able to find an answer.

In Radioactive Dating, how do scientists know how much of a certain isotope (ie. Carbon-14, Potassium-40) was there to start with in an object..

For example, if a rock was found to have gone through 3 half lifes of Carbon-14, being 17,190 years old, how would scientists know that the amount of Carbon-14 which was in the rock when it was formed is eight times what it was when they tested it?

Sorry if I'm being confusing and for looking idiotic for posting such a simple question.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wreak_Peace said:
I apologize for the simplicity of this question in relation to the others on this site.

But I've been curious, and haven't been able to find an answer.

In Radioactive Dating, how do scientists know how much of a certain isotope (ie. Carbon-14, Potassium-40) was there to start with in an object..

For example, if a rock was found to have gone through 3 half lifes of Carbon-14, being 17,190 years old, how would scientists know that the amount of Carbon-14 which was in the rock when it was formed is eight times what it was when they tested it?

Sorry if I'm being confusing and for looking idiotic for posting such a simple question.

Thanks!

Carbon dating is used for organic material, and the trick is that you assume that a living organism is constantly replenishing its supply of C-14, so the ratio of C-14 to the other carbon in the organism is equal to the naturally occurring ratio (about 1 atom in 1 trillion is C-14). However, once the organism dies, the C-14 is no longer replenished, and the ratio of C-14 to non-radioactive carbon begins to decrease as the C-14 decays. So, by measuring the ratio of C-14 to other carbon, you can tell how long ago something died. However C-14 dating can't go back very far, because the half-life of C-14 is only around 5700 years. I think the limit of C-14 dating is around 10 half-lives or so, so it can't be used to reliably date samples older than about 57000 years.

Samples of rock are typically dated using other radioisotope ratios (e.g. Ar-39/Ar-40 dating), but as far as I know, each one of those requires a similar assumption about when the "clock" for the decay started. With argon dating, it has to do with cooling of molten rock ... the red-hot liquid magma will exchange argon with the atmosphere, so while the rock is liquid, the ratio stays constant at the natural abundance. However, when the rock cools, it passes through something called the closure temperature. Below this temperature the exchange process stops, and that is the point where you start counting.

Ohh. So there are ratios. Thanks! that clears things up!

Related to Radioactive Dating Question, Half-Life.

1. What is radioactive dating and how does it work?

Radioactive dating, also known as radiometric dating, is a method used by scientists to determine the age of rocks and other materials based on the natural decay of radioactive elements. It works by measuring the amount of a radioactive isotope and its decay product in a sample and using the known half-life of the isotope to calculate the age of the sample.

2. What is a half-life and how is it used in radioactive dating?

A half-life is the time it takes for half of the atoms in a radioactive sample to decay into a stable form. In radioactive dating, scientists use the known half-life of a radioactive isotope to determine the age of a sample. By measuring the amount of the isotope and its decay product, they can calculate how many half-lives have passed and thus determine the age of the sample.

3. What are some common radioactive isotopes used in dating?

Some common radioactive isotopes used in dating include carbon-14, uranium-238, and potassium-40. Carbon-14 is used for dating organic materials up to about 50,000 years old. Uranium-238 has a half-life of 4.5 billion years and is used to date rocks and minerals. Potassium-40 is commonly used to date rocks and materials that are millions to billions of years old.

4. How accurate is radioactive dating?

The accuracy of radioactive dating depends on various factors such as the half-life of the isotope being used, the age of the sample, and the precision of the measurement. Generally, the accuracy of radioactive dating can range from a few percent to less than 1%.

5. What are the limitations of radioactive dating?

Radioactive dating is limited by the availability and suitability of the materials being dated. It also assumes that the rate of radioactive decay has remained constant over time, which may not always be the case. Additionally, contamination of the sample can also affect the accuracy of the dating results.