Radio Astronomy. Baselines and Fringes, Interferometry

In summary, the conversation discusses interferometry and the concept of a baseline in relation to two RA scopes directed at the same object. The baseline is not measured along the surface of the earth, but rather the distance between two line of sights for each scope. The importance of fringes and a figure labeled with E-W and N-S baselines is also questioned, as well as the relevance of the curvature of the earth in this process. The conversation also mentions a figure showing the baseline as the distance between two line of sights for a single location.
solarblast
As I understand Interferometry, a baseline does not refer to the distance between two RA scopes. It's the distance between two line of sites for each scope. They are parallel, when directed at the same object.

Suppose we have two scopes at two stations that are some distance apart, say, Socorro, NM, and Puerto Rico. Both stations are looking at the same object. I would think what I said above holds here for the two stations. That is, the baseline is not measured along the surface of the earth.

I have seen few, if only one, article on Interferometry that gives a good insight into the topic of Interferometry in RA or optical astronomy. Scientific American magazine, 2001, March. It does a fairly reasonable job as an introduction. Typically to most descriptions, it gets into fringes, and a figure labeled on two axes as E-W baseline and N-S baseline. Of what value is the figure? Similarly, what is the importance of fringes to the description? I'm providing attachments.

Attachments

• SciAm-pg63.jpg
    SciAm-pg63.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 505
  • SciAm-pg61.jpg
    SciAm-pg61.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 480
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Perhaps a better place to ask this is in general astronomy?

I don't know anything about this stuff, but I can't see what the curvature of the Earth could possibly have to do with the correlation of the two views, so it certainly seems natural that the distance between two stations would be taken as the DIRECT distance between the two (direct being taken without regard to the incidental circumstance that the two happened to be sitting on a spherical body).

Another figure that I did not include shows the baseline as the distance between the two line of sights for a single location.

Technically I think what I'm asking about is what is called a very long baseline.

Related to Radio Astronomy. Baselines and Fringes, Interferometry

1. What is radio astronomy?

Radio astronomy is a branch of astronomy that studies celestial objects and phenomena by detecting and analyzing radio waves emitted by them. This allows scientists to gather information about objects that may not be visible in other wavelengths of light.

2. What are baselines and fringes in radio astronomy?

Baselines refer to the distance between two radio telescopes used in an interferometer, which is an instrument that combines the signals from multiple telescopes to create a higher-resolution image. Fringes are the interference patterns created by the combination of these signals, which are used to reconstruct the image of an object.

3. How does interferometry work in radio astronomy?

Interferometry works by combining the signals from multiple radio telescopes, which are then compared and combined to create a higher-resolution image. The baselines and fringes are used to reconstruct the image, allowing for a more detailed study of the object being observed.

4. What are the benefits of using interferometry in radio astronomy?

Interferometry allows for a higher-resolution image to be created compared to using a single telescope. This allows for a more detailed study of celestial objects and phenomena, such as resolving smaller features or detecting faint signals that may not be visible with a single telescope.

5. What are some examples of discoveries made using radio astronomy and interferometry?

Some notable discoveries made using radio astronomy and interferometry include the discovery of pulsars, the detection of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the mapping of the structure of our Milky Way galaxy. Interferometry has also been used to study quasars, black holes, and other distant objects in the universe.